Fouts Velocity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I found this picture online. Is this a HE grip? View attachment 29159
Grips are not exclusive to delivery mechanics; you can use any grip you want for any method. To me she looks like she's throwing a change, so she would not want optimum whip. One way to reduce velocity is to "do things wrong" from what gets you high velocity. Circle grip helps with that. Palm down at this point also helps with that.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It this feel vs real? You would think along the way she or her dad would have watched and broke down slo mo video of her pitching. Maybe not.
Somebody mentioned her "giving back" but it's probably more taking back unless she is doing these clinics for free. I have no problem with monetizing talent. Good for her.

Oct 13, 2017
Grips are not exclusive to delivery mechanics; you can use any grip you want for any method. To me she looks like she's throwing a change, so she would not want optimum whip. One way to reduce velocity is to "do things wrong" from what gets you high velocity. Circle grip helps with that. Palm down at this point also helps with that.

Montana didn’t have a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2021
DD went to one of her clinics, she was absolutely amazing with the kids. Stayed after the clinics was over until every kid got all the pictures and videos with her that they wanted. Which is really what you are paying for at one of those type clinics. By all accounts she is a good person, and absolutely looked up to by little girls in this part of the country.

Jan 25, 2022
DD went to one of her clinics, she was absolutely amazing with the kids. Stayed after the clinics was over until every kid got all the pictures and videos with her that they wanted. Which is really what you are paying for at one of those type clinics. By all accounts she is a good person, and absolutely looked up to by little girls in this part of the country.

But was it...

push with HE
IR with HE
or IR with whip???

Inquiring minds want to know.

May 13, 2021
But was it...

push with HE
IR with HE
or IR with whip???

Inquiring minds want to know
The only thing DD said anything about was her talking to her about spins. I am almost certain she did not get into pushing vs pulling the ball down the back of the circle.

Jan 6, 2018
My DD took one look at that and said she’s throwing a rise. It can be done from that position because from there she’ll whip her elbow through.

Aug 21, 2008
As was pointed out, that grip (or any other) wouldn't be exclusive to HE or any other form of pitching. And I too have seen some girls grip their riseball like that. And grips are very much a style choice, not an absolute. Now, the pitch's spin is an absolute. But how they grip it is up to them. I tried and could never grip my rise like that. However, I'm leaning more towards it being a change. Even through Bernie says she doesn't/didn't have a change, all pitchers have a change up. But, pitchers that throw 70+ mph rarely use theirs unfortunately. That's what makes Ueno sooooo special, she had the speed and change. Here in the USA, too many girls are given an either/or situation instead of both. Flame throwers rarely throw change ups because they don't need it to win games. Most coaches, either consciously or subconsciously, put winning above development. They have a girl blowing their opponents away with a riseball, it's hard to go away from that pitch as it's working and the team is winning. Yet from a developmental standpoint, that's not necessarily the best thing for the pitcher. Anyway, I'd find it hard to believe Ms. Fouts is capable of throwing a 70+ riseball with that grip. More hand on the ball equals less speed on the pitch.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles