Weight Transfer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
causing the girls to consciously I/R their back leg and leak the coil. I've since adopted "The Move" which in my mind is what I've always done naturally when throwing overhand. I'm sure most everyone else on here does also.

Here is a clip of my daughter from September 2009 leaking the coil, spinning out or whatever you want to call it.

Could you explain this a little more? How does IR back leg...leak the coil? What am i seeing her leak in the video?
BTW..the last few post on hitting have been great. Thank ya'll!

Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
IMO, the backward sway, the crunch, the front leg kick, the amount of I/R of the front leg etc. that occur when the front leg is picked up during the stride, are all style choices. As is the length of the stride. The actual technique part of the weight shift is the hip cock/coil. The hip cock/coil is the absolute.

The problem I see is that the girls are being taught "style" as part of technique. If you want an eye opener ask your DD to show you or explain to you how she weight shifts? I did this with my DD recently. Her vision of the weight was "linear". After she explained it to me, I had her stand on her back foot and asked her to coil and uncoil her hips. After she did it I explained to her that the backward turn of her hips is the backward weight shift, and the forward counter move is the forward weight shift. She thought about it for a minute and then her eyes got wide and it clicked. Then I asked her to do the same action starting with her feet close together and taking a very short stride. Then I asked her to do the same action from her normal stride. Basically, all I was trying do in this conversation was to change how she viewed weight shift.

I believe a big part of learning is having a proper mental image of what is being taught. It's the reason Betty Crocker and Duncun Hines put a picture of a cake on the front of the cake mix box.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
http://www.aroundiredell.com/sports/...n_at_early_age

If we are transferring weight, some of it comes through the ACL’s and the difference between the male and female and how their ACL is different could help in understanding why girls throw like girls and hit like girls or you could disregard the knowledge of Dr. Timothy Hewett one of the most respected orthopedists in the world has to say.

TSW was a good hitter however as in any science, knowledge is key, not just a video or its analysis by some who post on discussion boards of what they think they see.

Maybe how to come off a 5 inch box correctly, ball of foot on a flexed knee can help the girls feel what it should feel like, possibly similar to the PEP program box jumps. Maybe it is not as simple as coiling or uncoiling for 10 to 14 year old girls going through growth spurts and puberty. Maybe some do not know that landing flat footed or stiff legged is wrong. Of course many of you do know that don't you?

Most girls when coiling, loading, going negative go over the outside edge of their foot and are on the heel of the foot in the beginning and the back foot leg gets stiff. Just look at the foot and you will see the toes inside their shoe touch the top of the shoe or even take the shoe off and you will see it yourself. If they were on the ball of the foot this could not happen. If you believe the swing starts ground up, stay there until you get it. Video it and become enlightened!

Read the entire article and conclude from your own research.

“Females have a much greater risk of tearing their anterior cruciate ligaments than male athletes. But this is not a problem without solutions.”

“While it is never certain that particular training methods will completely negate the chances of tearing an ACL, there are training programs that have proven to be effective in injury prevention.”

“We can decrease ACL injury risk, and we have to get that word out,” said Dr. Timothy Hewett, director of the Sports Medicine Biodynamics Center at Children’s Hospital Research Foundation in Cincinnati and one of the most respected orthopedists in the world.”

May 13, 2008
The general conclusion is that women/girls should train/condition to protect themselves from ACL injuries. The conclusion is NOT that we should adopt some newly invented hitting approach that refutes the Hanson Principle.

Based off of this picture would you say that men and women achieve balance the same?

q-angle-female-male.jpg

Female Sports: Are They Worth the Tears? - Ashley Corral

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Softball and baseball skills indoor training facility and services This is Dave Paetkau web site. He was one of the first hitting coaches I worked with that taught kids how to feel correct weight shift. He had them stand with the back foot elevated on a 2X4. Don Slaught (Right View Pro- X hitting coach of the Detroit Tigers) Is now using a slanted box to have them put the back foot on during the swing to get them to feel weight shift. Howard Carrier is now having them stand with the back foot on a box to feel weight shift during the throwing motion. Mike Candrea has posted that most incoming players at AZ, do not understand weight shift and he shows all incoming freshman how to correctly throw. I would think weight shift is a big issue and at least these gentlemen all agree and have come up with ideas on how to teach and get girls to feel it. This should get us back to the ? how do you teach it. Nice post Chris on Q Angle. Got to talk to Dave during his clinic. Peppers that is exactly what Don is teaching and the device you mention. Peppers we have a big fan and a freind down in the SEC in Coach B at Arkansas. He is one of the better college coaches teaching hitting, if you ever get a chance to to one of his clinics,

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
Could you explain this a little more? How does IR back leg...leak the coil? What am i seeing her leak in the video?
BTW..the last few post on hitting have been great. Thank ya'll!

I will attempt to answer your question later when I have more time. It's hard to explain without getting into other related areas. In the mean time maybe FFS can make a gif of my DD and post it along side a pro hitter somewhere around toe touch. I think you will find that my DD is not launching her swing from a balanced position. She has to much weight back. This swing is what caused me to basically throw my hands up and start over. What we were doing wasn't working. It's critical for hitters to launch their swing from a balanced position. Which is tied to how hitters weight shift, which is tied to how hitters coil and uncoil.

Oct 25, 2009
SBF I could not agree more that teaching a proper weight shift to girls can be difficult, one thing I’ve ran into is to get them to weight shift at the proper time, or timing of the weight shift to best take advantage of it.

One thing you mentioned is the box, are you referring to a square box? At a University of Alabama camp my daughter attended one hitting station (according to her I was not there) they had a triangle box about 5 inches high placed behind the back leg (heel) to get the kids to feel weight transfer in the swing. The triangle box was placed at the heel of the back leg, once weight shift occurs then the back leg is like a kickstand for balance of the body as the body rotates around the axis or this is my perception of how it works.

Just thought to add this. My daughter's pitching coach is working with her on weight shift in the pitching moting (she is a setp pitcher not a leaper) getting that timming down for the weigth shift you can see the ball explode out of her hand vs when the timming is off it makes a difference.

One of the drills I use is to have the girls wind up like a baseball pitcher with a high leg kick and throw the ball. As they do that I tell them to experiment with the feel of it, to try to feel the various effects of the weight shift.

When they are batting I use the same drill--kick stride--and have them exaggerate the hip coil (show the pitcher your hip pocket). Instead of rigidly following my exact instructions I have them experiment with shifting that load into hitting off of a tee.

I don't necessarily encourage a kick stride but I have two who are actually doing just that. Not sure yet but the kick stride looks pretty promising for game-time weight shift.

Anyone have kids using a kick stride? If so, what's your take on it?

Oct 25, 2009
http://www.aroundiredell.com/sports/...n_at_early_age

If we are transferring weight, some of it comes through the ACL’s and the difference between the male and female and how their ACL is different could help in understanding why girls throw like girls and hit like girls or you could disregard the knowledge of Dr. Timothy Hewett one of the most respected orthopedists in the world has to say.

TSW was a good hitter however as in any science, knowledge is key, not just a video or its analysis by some who post on discussion boards of what they think they see.

Maybe how to come off a 5 inch box correctly, ball of foot on a flexed knee can help the girls feel what it should feel like, possibly similar to the PEP program box jumps. Maybe it is not as simple as coiling or uncoiling for 10 to 14 year old girls going through growth spurts and puberty. Maybe some do not know that landing flat footed or stiff legged is wrong. Of course many of you do know that don't you?

Most girls when coiling, loading, going negative go over the outside edge of their foot and are on the heel of the foot in the beginning and the back foot leg gets stiff. Just look at the foot and you will see the toes inside their shoe touch the top of the shoe or even take the shoe off and you will see it yourself. If they were on the ball of the foot this could not happen. If you believe the swing starts ground up, stay there until you get it. Video it and become enlightened!

Read the entire article and conclude from your own research.

“Females have a much greater risk of tearing their anterior cruciate ligaments than male athletes. But this is not a problem without solutions.”

“While it is never certain that particular training methods will completely negate the chances of tearing an ACL, there are training programs that have proven to be effective in injury prevention.”

“We can decrease ACL injury risk, and we have to get that word out,” said Dr. Timothy Hewett, director of the Sports Medicine Biodynamics Center at Children’s Hospital Research Foundation in Cincinnati and one of the most respected orthopedists in the world.”

I don't think anyone disagrees that females are built different. But they are no different than a male who needs instruction. The posts concerning females almost imply that males come by their skills naturally. That, of course, is not the case.

The hammer example that is used quite frequently is a prime example of what I'm talking about. Males are not necessarily born knowing how to leverage a hammer. I recall from my own experience as a boy when I was taught to use the hammer to take advantage of the hammer head. At the time I was doing most of the work instead of taking advantage of the end weight of the hammer.

I recall how they used to teach the girls to swing from their biceps because "they can't get around as fast as boys". Or not to stride because it's too much for girls. See how dumb that sounds?

My point is that girls can learn just as boys learn. There are differences but they are insignificant in the big picture. Don't make them feel disadvantaged.

Oct 25, 2009
Based off of this picture would you say that men and women achieve balance the same?

q-angle-female-male.jpg

Female Sports: Are They Worth the Tears? - Ashley Corral

Some females look exactly like that; most female athletes I've seen don't look like that. Most of the ones that look like that don't usually make the cut. I'm not even sure there is much that can be done physically there other than extra attention to strengthening the supporting muscles.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Let me get this straight.

We should promote concepts like the following ….

… purely because girls are more susceptible to ACL injuries???

And when it is pointed out that there has NEVER been a male or female game-like swing like this ….. then the answer is …. Weeelllll, errrrr, beeeccauuusssseeeee, because, because, ummmmm …. if the hitter were pulling on an imaginary rope that they would be able to apply more force to that rope at this point????????

What????

Has someone changed the rules of the game to give credit for swings that are more capable of pulling an imaginary rope??? …. Even though they are completely unproductive for the purpose of hitting?

An imaginary rope theory is pulled out of thin air as support for a made-up mechanic that has NEVER been demonstrated in one single game-like swing in a sport that has existed for over 100 years.

And oh … if you could get into this position with a pure vertical stacked forearm … then kiss the chances of establishing connection goodbye … but that’s okay …. Let’s frustrate people by talking up the importance of connection, and then show them a hitting mechanic which has them bypassing the establishment of connection.

And while we are at it …. See this huge spacing here …..

….. this huge space between the rear elbow and the side of the body ….. This recommended large space is the death sentence for inside/outside adjustability. But what the heck …. Let’s promote it and shout out ACL INJURIES!!! Maybe we can scare a few folks to do the wrong thing.

I mean c’mon. This sort of scare tactic has gone on long enough. I know certain people can’t find supporting documentation of certain swing principles, but lets not resort to scare tactics.

The conclusion of the gender based ACL studies was clear. Women/girls are more prone to ACL injuries. It was also shown that training and conditioning can meaningfully help prevent ACL injuries. The common recommendation is that woman/girls involved in athletic endeavors should train and condition their bodies so that they are less prone to ACL injuries. The conclusion was NOT that some non-Hanson-Principle-compliant batting mechanics should be used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors