POLL~ THIS or THAT~ early recruitment or transfer portal

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Prefer (the pole is you can't have both)

• Opportunity for early recruitment

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Opportunity for transfer portal

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
May 13, 2023
Specifically to being recruited to D1 colleges. To get the gist of the post going I'll offer a little detail.

If you could pick ONE (only one)
➡️ What would you rather have?
The opportunity for early recruitment.
Or
The transfer portal.

There was EARLY RECRUITMENT
( D1 colleges could approach players under the age of 16 and make them an offer. Even though it was verbal and contracts were not signed yet. There was early recruitment.)
That ended. And rules were put in place to wait till players got a couple years older to make these offers.

Now there is the TRANSFER PORTAL.
Players that are already in college using the transfer portal as a vessel to switch to another college.
CREATED colleges utilizing the tranfer portal to recruit players that are already in college.
Taking away opportunities from graduating high school players.
Literally certain colleges bringing on 10 transfer portal recruits in one season.

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not sure I like either of them. :p

My DD's travel team was fortunate to have Jana Johns as a coach last year. She's since moved on to other more important life events such as marriage and career and such.

I did tell my DD to ask questions to her as possible. One of which was "When did you commit?"

She committed in 8th grade, as a 13 year old. To South Carolina. At the time of my DD's question, my DD was a 13 year old in 8th grade. The thought of committing at 13 is crazy to us. Absolutely nuts. But it worked for Jana and USC (though she obviously switched to Oklahoma after a few years at South Carolina).

May 20, 2015
early commitment does nothing positive for the student athlete

transfer portal makes it easier for them to find the right fit......it needs some refinement, but for every P5 football player exploiting the system for $$, there's multiple actual college athletes making sure they get the right school for their academic AND athletic needs

May 13, 2023
I did tell my DD to ask questions to her as possible. One of which was "When did you commit?"

She committed in 8th grade, as a 13 year old. To South Carolina. At the time of my DD's question, my DD was a 13 year old in 8th grade. The thought of committing at 13 is crazy to us. Absolutely nuts. But it worked for Jana and USC (though she obviously switched to Oklahoma after a few years at South Carolina).
Appears BOTH worked for Jana!

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
She definitely transferred. I don't know if it was "transfer portal" or some way before that term existed. I don't entirely understand the whole thing.
The rules about player eligibility when transferring have changed. No restricted down time when player transfers.

Couldn't pick the transfer portal because I know the other snafus that it is causing.
Specifically college coaches putting on hold recruiting graduating freshman until they get their transfer portal situation finalized.
⬆️ That is happening later in the summer after seniors have graduated.
Specifically college coaches telling possible recruits we are interested in you but we have to wait until the transfer portal settles in the summer. That was not something that was part of any conversation previous to this transfer portal.
Its dangling a potential offer on a string that has other strings attached.

When there was early recruitment I know players that had good positive experiences from accepting early recruitment opportunity.

In the bigger picture, early recruitment did not affect so many other players that would have gone on the normal recruitment path that they do anyway.
Compared to, I do think the transfer portal is affecting more negatively than the positive result of the fewer who utilized early recruitment.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
I’d say early recruiting was worse. It’s kind of interesting to see people who say they can’t imagine having a 16-17 y/o try to pick a major or field of study in college, but yet are okay with having 13 y/o’s decide on a college before they are even in HS just for a sport. Talk about pressure!

Nov 18, 2022
I'm not for going back to recruiting middle schoolers again but maybe move it to September 1st of sophomore year. This is a huge decision and will allow more time to develop relationships between coaching staffs and players- needs to be a win/win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2023
The transfer portal creates a pressure to those who are jumping into it without a deal already made.

It puts those into a situation where if they don't get picked up somewhere else. They are either to consider staying where they are already at Or leaving without a spot on a roster elsewhere. And not necessarily a guarantee they can get into another college. There are those that have to stay in a position with the rest of their team and coaches knowing they really wanted to leave.

Both options of early recruitment or jumping to transfer portal are individual decisions. That each come with their own scenarios.

May 27, 2013
The transfer portal creates a pressure to those who are jumping into it without a deal already made.

It puts those into a situation where if they don't get picked up somewhere else. They are either to consider staying where they are already at Or leaving without a spot on a roster elsewhere. And not necessarily a guarantee they can get into another college. There are those that have to stay in a position with the rest of their team and coaches knowing they really wanted to leave.

Both options of early recruitment or jumping to transfer portal are individual decisions. That each come with their own scenarios.

But they are adults making this decision.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles