Scap Retraction, Loading

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I have never really thought about the scap when it comes to pitching, there are too many other things to get 'right'. The other day I was warming up with one of my pitchers. We start with 15-20 overhand throws then switch to some easy sling shots followed by some easy walk-in ball circles. Then we switch to 'do what I do', where I will alternate in no particular order between OH, SS, and ball circle, the idea being to transfer some of the OH motion whip to her pitching motion. As we're doing this I realize that I have some scap retraction in OH but not in the other two. So I start to experiment with loading the scap in the underhand motions and it feels useful, especially if I add a little tilt to the throwing arm side. Now I'm wondering if I have been missing something. One thing I noticed, if I do retract the scap it allows me to swim the glove a little more. I sometimes see a high level pitcher with more glove swim than I would like but it doesn't seem to affect them negatively, now I'll have to look and see if I can detect some scap retraction in their motion.

May 21, 2018
DD (at times) has an almost a bizarre amount of scap retraction. I think it's useful, but has caused her problems getting stuck behind her body and throwing around her hip. She was a dancer when she was younger, so I sometimes wonder if the odd positions they would contort themselves into led to some of this.

Edit: Forgot to mention that she does have a lot of glove swim also.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2019
MN
That's one of the benefits of working on pitching yourself, you can feel what's going on and it gets you thinking.
I, too have tried to increase scap loading, or a scap/pec cycle (sorry, I'm no kinesiologist) into a delivery. I don't think I would introduce it until the pitcher has mastered several other base mechanics first.

I have also seen in college games pitchers we might think as having too much glove swim. Having a better understanding how a scap/pec cycle can help the pitcher's velocity, I would no longer call that glove swim. To me glove swim is the pitcher letting their glove side flail around uncontrolled without engaging those core muscles. The glove arm swinging out due to loading the scaps/stretching the pecs is deliberate.

SETPRO

DFP Vendor
Dec 28, 2023
Don't know if you saw what I posted in the "Arm whip" discussion thread:

1. IR is driven by internal rotation of the shoulder (humerus). But what "sets the stage" for IR is ER (external rotation). External rotation preload the upper shoulder complex pre-tensioning so to speak to unload into IR.

2. Horizontal abduction abduction of the shoulders is important component of effective IR implementation. You can see this in a number of high-level fastpitch pitchers where there is a flexing back of the shoulders (adduction) and then bringing back together again (abduction). You can especially see the abduction after the ball is released.

Just about all of the video I see of high-level pitchers (typically Olympic caliber) exhibit a significant shoulder horizontal "abduction-adduction-abduction sequence".

The attached clip of Monica Abbott exhibits this sequence.

It is my observation that the abduction-adduction-abduction sequence is a critical component of IR.

If the player is significant HE then I suspect abduction-abduction-abduction sequence is of limited value.

Sep 19, 2018
My DD PC is a Tincher coach. Scaps are definitely discussed with drills to try and make sure they are engaged.

Jan 6, 2018
I do believe Rick Pauly (paulygirlfastpitch) mentions it in one of his speed courses.
I don’t have a video handy, but yes, we run a bow-flex-bow drill using a Thera-band. Basically hold it out in front with two hands and shoulders bowed in, step forward mimicking an arm circle and load the scaps overhead (flex) then when you get to the bottom of the circle bow the shoulders in again as you finish I/R.(bow #2)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles