Under The Ball--Make Small Adjustment, Keep The Back Foot Down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
DD's been struggling this year. New team. She does great at practice with hard line drives, and occasional bombs to the OF. In games she is almost always hitting the lower part of the ball. Could be the 3b coaches cues to slice the ball in half. Don't know. I was once told girls should be looking at the top of the ball before they swing. Also, HC and AC constantly tell her to keep her back foot down. I thought her back foot comes up from a hard swing combined with a shift in her weight. What do some of you think?

Oct 25, 2009
There are plenty of examples of great hitters on here whose back foot is off the ground during contact. That's a good indication usually of a good lower half weight shift.

Hitting the lower half of the ball is not necessarily bad, depending on bat path. For example, if she swing a little upward the lower half of the ball is not a bad target.

I would prefer they hit the inside half of the ball—in the middle of the ball. This is best done with front toss, with some spin on the ball.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA