Hitting just under the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2019
Coiling or forward by coiling is important but often neglected or missed is holding the coil in to leg snap

Jul 30, 2014
I certainly appreciate everyone’s input. This pitch was a little up, and I do see him raising up prior to this release. I’m attaching another swing from the same day that he was also under (inside of) that was lower he didn’t come out of posture as far as I can tell. (The only pitch he missed all day)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fanboi22

on the journey
Nov 9, 2015
SE Wisconsin
I certainly appreciate everyone’s input. This pitch was a little up, and I do see him raising up prior to this release. I’m attaching another swing from the same day that he was also under (inside of) that was lower he didn’t come out of posture as far as I can tell. (The only pitch he missed all day)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some one mentioned it earlier, but i see him as dropping hands, pinning rear elbow to side, and spinning tight against the body with no release/extension. I am going thru my own journey with DD so just know i am not a professional. Just trying to learn on my journey. I try not to get caught up in the dialogue and the different terms. I only want to help others take what i think i learned and use it or not.

First two pics show to me that he is moving the barrel back and down before heal plant and any launch of the swing. I would assume this is contributing to his being under the ball. ie he is starting the swing before he should. My DD struggles at this and she has issues getting under and flaring the ball.

Start of move forward.
View attachment 22983
Heal plant.
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.05.38 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.06.07 AM.jpg
Elbow pinned.
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.06.25 AM.jpg
Still pinned.
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.06.37 AM.jpg
pinned and spinny
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.06.44 AM.jpg
still pinned and barrel knob is tight to midsection.
Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.19.04 AM.jpg

I don't necessarily agree that the premovement is causing all the issues. He actually squats first then starts his negative move and move out. I don't see his head moving too much at all. But again that's just me. If you see in all the frames, 'during' the swing his head stays pretty well put. He comes up a little right at initiation but not sure if that is the torso turn/spine tilt result. I see him slotting his elbow too early pulling the hands down and he cant recover as he is swinging up pretty hard based on arms and barrel position.

With my DD she had a lot of spin in her swing as well and we worked on getting the hands away from the body to release the barrel, not to try and use the waist as leverage to swing the barrel. I used the inverted top hand drill where the top hand was only resting there and not gripping the barrel. This helps her use the lead arm to level and plane while forcing her to lock in connection on the initial turn then 'push' the hands to the ball and release the barrel.

For the hands dropping, Justin Stone has a good drill that is 1 drill to fix 5 flaws. The bat in hand starts midline and as the hitter moves out, the hands move up and back until launch helping create separation and not allowing the hands to drop before launch. reminds me i have to use this one on DD again.

good luck.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.06.44 AM.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 8.06.44 AM.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 11
May 12, 2016
IMO hitter needs to maintain his posture. W already mentioned this in his initial analysis and I agree. When a hitter looses posture the swing lengthens because there isn’t space for the hands to work(come through), they can end up pushing the barrel more which will affect barrel path. I’m not an instructor, but this is what I see. Check out outfronthitting on Instagram, some of his older videos go into detail on posture.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Some one mentioned it earlier, but i see him as dropping hands, pinning rear elbow to side, and spinning tight against the body with no release/extension. I am going thru my own journey with DD so just know i am not a professional. Just trying to learn on my journey. I try not to get caught up in the dialogue and the different terms. I only want to help others take what i think i learned and use it or not.

First two pics show to me that he is moving the barrel back and down before heal plant and any launch of the swing. I would assume this is contributing to his being under the ball. ie he is starting the swing before he should. My DD struggles at this and she has issues getting under and flaring the ball.

Start of move forward.
View attachment 22983
Heal plant.
View attachment 22984

View attachment 22985
Elbow pinned.
View attachment 22986
Still pinned.
View attachment 22989
pinned and spinny
View attachment 22990
still pinned and barrel knob is tight to midsection.
View attachment 22991

I don't necessarily agree that the premovement is causing all the issues. He actually squats first then starts his negative move and move out. I don't see his head moving too much at all. But again that's just me. If you see in all the frames, 'during' the swing his head stays pretty well put. He comes up a little right at initiation but not sure if that is the torso turn/spine tilt result. I see him slotting his elbow too early pulling the hands down and he cant recover as he is swinging up pretty hard based on arms and barrel position.

With my DD she had a lot of spin in her swing as well and we worked on getting the hands away from the body to release the barrel, not to try and use the waist as leverage to swing the barrel. I used the inverted top hand drill where the top hand was only resting there and not gripping the barrel. This helps her use the lead arm to level and plane while forcing her to lock in connection on the initial turn then 'push' the hands to the ball and release the barrel.

For the hands dropping, Justin Stone has a good drill that is 1 drill to fix 5 flaws. The bat in hand starts midline and as the hitter moves out, the hands move up and back until launch helping create separation and not allowing the hands to drop before launch. reminds me i have to use this one on DD again.

good luck.

Correct, he swings around his body trapping the back elbow. Needs to swing out from. Lots of outside location work.

Jun 3, 2021
That looks like the kind of follow through a hitter has when they were late on the pitch. I would shop around and find an experienced hitting coach. You can’t solve it effectively with a few videos and a bunch of people talking about it on the website. Sure it can help. But if it were my kid I would be looking for a solid hitting coach and signing him up for lessons.

Jun 3, 2021
Heck, I had to hire I just retired college scholarship softball player to tell my kids exactly what I tell them. But they listen to her. We laugh about it often.

Jan 28, 2017
Not getting into styles but to me his frontside is to early and it causes the bat to drop/drag. Frontside on it and deliver the backside. When his front foot hits his hip are already gone, so he has to drop hands/drag the bat to keep it in the zone to make contact and then he is late and pops up. He looks like he is trying to keep his front shoulder on the ball but can't because of the front hips. Know for the people that say you swing the leg down, the front hip can't be gone before you start swinging the leg down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28