Hitting just under the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

you view this as correct I’m guessing. Not what the kid is doing Mike. Like I stated earlier. The coil should take place during the forward move not in the negative move or in stance.

May 16, 2019
His barrel path wasn't bad. Maybe he's just missing the ball. Split it in the middle or aim for the top of the ball might fix his issue. We're trying to major surgery on the poor kid when a band aid will work. I have a gut feeling he is coiling the wrong way but I'd need more information to be sure.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
His barrel path wasn't bad. Maybe he's just missing the ball. Split it in the middle or aim for the top of the ball might fix his issue. We're trying to major surgery on the poor kid when a band aid will work. I have a gut feeling he is coiling the wrong way but I'd need more information to be sure.

his body pushes forward out of posture to swing. He’s using his legs way too much.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
If he's decided on HLP way of hitting . He's already decided to coil...... HLP includes coiling around the rear leg, it's not an option. If you want to load the front foot and rotate from the core, by all means go ahead but that's not HLP

Mike, this is correct !! If folks would just recognize the difference in patterns before advising.

AHgy9Bz.png

May 16, 2019
Mike, this is correct !! If folks would just recognize the difference in patterns before advising.

AHgy9Bz.png

Thank you..... I have no issue or fight with other hitting patterns . I'm not interested in proving anyone right or wrong just sharing what I've been learning for 6 years. W can read and breakdown a swing way better than I can and I appreciate most of his insight as well as yours .

Reactions: TDS
Apr 11, 2015
He’s coming out of posture. that’s why he under everything. Try staying tall during load and getting smaller at stride. a simple weight shift to the back foot is all the load really is. coiling before stride etc usually causes problems.

edit: if that doesn’t work I would get the pelvis to advance a bit sooner during stride to create a middle stretch
I agree with this initial assessment.

Needs to stay taller during the load; IOWs, it would help if he didn't squat so much when coiling rearward. I'm OK with hitters developing their own style of loading, and whether they coil rearward to then move that (preset) coil forward, or they coil while moving forward is fine. IMO it's not a set in stone time of when someone starts their coil, as long as they're able to maintain it, and time it appropriately with the pitcher, and incoming pitch.

The young man in the initial post puts himself at a disadvantage almost immediately by lowering his eyes in his rearward coil, and then raising them as he begins his forward move towards the ball. All this movement is giving the ball added movement that it doesn't really have, but still has to be accounted for when bringing the barrel to the ball. In this hitter's case, he's struggling to make that visual adjustment, and why he's not squaring up the ball as well as he could/would if his eyes weren't moving so much vertically in his move out to the ball. JMO...OMMV.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802