Hitting just under the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
MLB hitters do it both ways. So, it makes no difference. The key is have a strong coil inward until your front foot is 2-3 inches from the ground.

please show some evidence of that. I think it happens during the move out. The later the better.

His gather has no coiling imo. his coil takes place as he goes forward imo.

1625423004065.gif

Jun 3, 2021
I wouldn't do anything based on that terrible (far away, and the wrong side) video.

Get a good close up video from the plate side, and use at least 60fps.

Yes. Plus it’s almost impossible to analyze anybody’s swing on one single pitch. We can say what he did right or wrong on that particular pitch but cannot really make a comment about his swing in general. Ask any ball player and they will say they look terrible on a certain swing and felt great on another.

May 16, 2019
so would you recommend FBC for this young man?

For the kids I work with , I like a preset coil in to FBC . The more advanced will find themselves. The challenge has been maintaining that coil in to leg snap so you get the benefits of it. If you coil forward and lose the tension , you would have been better off laterally shifting and using momentum.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
thanks for the clarity. I don’t see AJ doing that though. He coils during his move out. Hips and shoulders. Not in stance like the young man is. is the coil suppose to take place in stance or during the move out? The command drill says during stance right? You know that when you load a joint unnaturally you can get stuck? I think we just helped this young guy..

The coil starts early and then you continue to coil or ride the coil forward as you stretch. Never ending loading.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Yes. Plus it’s almost impossible to analyze anybody’s swing on one single pitch. We can say what he did right or wrong on that particular pitch but cannot really make a comment about his swing in general. Ask any ball player and they will say they look terrible on a certain swing and felt great on another.

the OP gave context. and a video example of what he’s been seeing. Did you not see that part? The angle isn’t that bad if you know what you’re looking at.

edit: and the type of mechanics he likes. do you want a full description of ‘feels’ ‘actions’ from the kid as well? Lol

double edit: please put on a kvest, a blast sensor and insert some force plates and video please. lolol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee