Its High School Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Wow, I am in my 37th year of teaching, have a Master's Degree+ and I am not close to that amount. By not close, I mean not within $45,000.
The cost of living where he lives is probably a lot higher than where you live (or where I live in OK) so you have to take that into account...but yeah I am a tenured Engineering professor and I make 30K less than that :ROFLMAO:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Wow, I am in my 37th year of teaching, have a Master's Degree+ and I am not close to that amount. By not close, I mean not within $45,000. Also, in the district I retired from, I was given one year to win as a HC in two sports that were not know for winning. We won. LOL (I am now teaching in another state but the amount of money I made/make is about the same.)
Yeah, LI pays crazy money. It's not uncommon for teachers FAS to be over $150K with 30+ years of teaching. At 64% of FAS, their pensions are quite nice.

And, I wish we all got what we paid for in our property taxes. I can assure you that I'd pay less than a quarter of what I currently pay for the same home in North or South Carolina.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
For the record; I can't wait to get off Long Island. The only things keeping me here are my youngest daughter is still in HS and my 87 and 86 year old parents are still here. Once those two dynamics change, so will my living arrangements.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, LI pays crazy money. It's not uncommon for teachers FAS to be over $150K with 30+ years of teaching. At 64% of FAS, their pensions are quite nice.

Lived on LI most of my life, graduated from LIU. Getting a teaching job on LI is like hitting the lottery. I knew 5-6 education majors, not one got a teaching job at a public school.

DW and I got high-paying Manhattan jobs and settled in a beautiful town a block from the water. Every neighbor was a teacher. My parents were teachers; they retired with two homes, luxury cars, and lifetime pensions and healthcare.

Sorry for the thread highjack, nice work if you can get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2011
How is that not an interference/out call if it's a deliberate attempt to confuse the defense?
Good question. My friend who is an umpire said if he had heard a batter admit that, he would of called an out for interference.

Umpires looked like they were in their early 70's, so maybe that is why nothing was done? I'll post something in the rules topic.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Lived on LI most of my life, graduated from LIU. Getting a teaching job on LI is like hitting the lottery. I knew 5-6 education majors, not one got a teaching job at a public school.

DW and I got high-paying Manhattan jobs and settled in a beautiful town a block from the water. Every neighbor was a teacher. My parents were teachers; they retired with two homes, luxury cars, and lifetime pensions and healthcare.

Sorry for the thread highjack, nice work if you can get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's loosened up in the last few years, and I know the pandemic made a lot of older teachers want to leave. But, it's a really good job up here. Down south, maybe not so much.

Sep 19, 2018
certain towns in Westchester pay teachers large amounts as well. but the cost of living up here is brutal. Teachers are not getting rich here near and around NYC. Once they retire, they will be able to live nicely somewhere else.

Oct 3, 2019
Wow, I am in my 37th year of teaching, have a Master's Degree+ and I am not close to that amount. By not close, I mean not within $45,000. Also, in the district I retired from, I was given one year to win as a HC in two sports that were not know for winning. We won. LOL (I am now teaching in another state but the amount of money I made/make is about the same.)
They’re clearly adding in the benefit package to that amount.

Sep 19, 2018
They’re clearly adding in the benefit package to that amount.
Not sure who they is. But my school district tops out at over 150k. It takes a masters degree + 30 additional master credits and more than a few years to get there. But that is salary. Not including benefits. Scarsdale in westchester is even higher.
If you can make it to 30 years, you retire with a 60% pension.

But living on that wage alone in Scarsdale is not getting you very far. As mentioned 19-20k in property taxes is not uncommon for a regular sized house in this region.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog