Umpires that "coach" players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
An umpire should NEVER tell a batter where to stand in the box. They are paid to ump the game not coach the girls period.

Now moving the catcher back to a safe position is fine...but that isn't coaching. That is ensuring the safety of the players. Last time I checked the batter can use the ENTIRE box...not just where the ump thinks she stand.

She has to be in the box. Maybe she was on the line. Can't imagine an ump moving a kid a foot off the plate.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Wow, 10U? Who'd of thought you could really make a mountain out of a molehill. I'm afraid you have a very rocky road in front of you if DD keeps playing.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
An umpire should NEVER tell a batter where to stand in the box. They are paid to ump the game not coach the girls period.

Now moving the catcher back to a safe position is fine...but that isn't coaching. That is ensuring the safety of the players. Last time I checked the batter can use the ENTIRE box...not just where the ump thinks she stand.

It would probably help if you cited the post to which you are referring.

Mar 13, 2010
I'm not a fan of it for non safety reasons. Especilly when they're wrong. I've watched (well intentioned) umpires tell kids to do things that we're trying to break them of! Or in one particully bad case an umpire force a girl to move closer to the plate. What the umpire didn't know was that the girl had been hit in the batting box the week before and was terrified. We had told her to stand where she was comfortable (in the box) It had been very hard for that girls mother to even get her in the car that day. She was sobbing and crying in the box. That umpire was spoken to very sharply.

I had a time I got roped into umpiring a junior game. One of the teams was the same club I play seniors for. Their pitcher was decent but kept changing from sling shot to windmill to back again. She had no rhythm whatsoever. I bit my tounge and said nothing. After the game I had the coach point her mum out (coach was filling in. Normal coach was her dad who I would have spoken to) and I introduced myself and explained why she needed to stay with one style. Never said a word to the player c

May 7, 2008
Tucson
When I was 10, in 1964 :), the umpire physically picked me up and moved me in the batter's box. We hadn't been taught anything and he was a family friend. Batting helmets weren't even thought of, then, so he probably kept me from getting my head knocked off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut