Umpires that "coach" players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
In ouR 10U game our umps would as well, but they would also add, this is your warning, next time your out. Like " you left the base too early, you have to wait til the pitcher releases the ball. If you leave too early again you will be called out". So I was ok with their corrections, cuz in a way it's teaching them & giving a warning instead of calling them out on the spot.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
In ouR 10U game our umps would as well, but they would also add, this is your warning, next time your out. Like " you left the base too early, you have to wait til the pitcher releases the ball. If you leave too early again you will be called out". So I was ok with their corrections, cuz in a way it's teaching them & giving a warning instead of calling them out on the spot.

Yes, but that is why there are coaches. The umpire is paid to apply the rules, not coach the player.

And what will have a more permanent effect on the player's knowledge and ability to adapt, a warning or being called out and having the coach explain it to her?

Jul 28, 2008
And what will have a more permanent effect on the player's knowledge and ability to adapt, a warning or being called out and having the coach explain it to her?

I agree with this. I have yet to read in a rule book where you give warnings. You don't see an umpire telling a kid, "That was a strike, but I'm going to call it a ball this time. Next time you need to swing at it." :/

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is a fine line between the umpire explaining something to a player and coaching. Last time the umpire helped DD was when a ball spun back and hit her when she was running to 1st base. Happened to be the 3rd out and he stopped her on her way to the dugout and explained if she got into foul territory while running to 1st and the ball hit her she would have been OK, because she was in fair territory she was out. Not sure if that is coaching but I appreciated what he did.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
There is a fine line between the umpire explaining something to a player and coaching. Last time the umpire helped DD was when a ball spun back and hit her when she was running to 1st base. Happened to be the 3rd out and he stopped her on her way to the dugout and explained if she got into foul territory while running to 1st and the ball hit her she would have been OK, because she was in fair territory she was out. Not sure if that is coaching but I appreciated what he did.

THAT is coaching. There are times, especially at the lower levels where I will make a coach aware of something that was obviously not on his/her radar. However, I will not do it until long after the game or tournament.

Nov 17, 2010
Wow, 10U? Who'd of thought you could really make a mountain out of a molehill. I'm afraid you have a very rocky road in front of you if DD keeps playing.

No mountain made, IP. Just getting some constructive thoughts from knowledgeable folks on what I observed.

And I got your thoughts, too! ;)

Nov 17, 2010
Yes, but that is why there are coaches. The umpire is paid to apply the rules, not coach the player.

That's the way I see it, too.

It can also be a very effective teaching tool if an umpire simply makes the call on the player. That way the young player has a cause and effect to the action. For example, "if I hit the ball with part of my foot out of the batters box, I will be called out, next time I'll be sure to keep my feet in the box".

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
From the OP...the first two should never be addressed by an umpire. The third should be handled as more of a suggestion..

"Catch, you're awful close to the batter, you might want to think about moving back a bit so you don't obstruct the batter's swing and maybe get hurt."

After that, it's up to the catcher where s/he sets up.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I'll hold up play and tell a batter to get in the box...IF she has her feet hanging out of it. By rule, the batter must have both feet in the box before we can allow the pitcher to pitch. Telling the batter to get in the box is exactly what we're supposed to do if she isn't!

I will ask a catcher to move back some if she is too close to the batter or out of the catcher's box. Again, we are directed to do this in our umpire manual.

Beyond that, about the only time I'll ever address a player's positioning is when fielders are being oblivious and standing directly on a base with runners rounding a bag and no play being made. After the play, I might tell them that if there is no play being made they need to get out of the way. I see this as safety issue that outweighs the perception of "coaching" the player.

Personally, I absolutely HATE when an umpire coaches a player. This is also addressed in our umpire manuals and training, where we're specifically told, "Don't do that!". Yet some umpires do have the attitude that they must interject themselves into the game as much as possible. I find that this is most likely to happen in lower level games where you have inexperienced players combined with inexperienced umpires.

Here is my "golden rule" for umpires coaching players:

Players play. Coaches coach. And umpires umpire!

When each sticks to their defined roles, things seem to go a lot more smoothly.

Nov 1, 2009
As a coach you should be happy when an umpire gives that kind of direction to your team. Would you prefer he calls the girl out for running outside the lane, or out for not having her foot in the box, or award the other team a base because your catcher is a little to close.

Your responsibility as a coach is to teach your kids the game. If you happen to forget a detail or two it is good for the kid to hear it from somewhere else. Now if they are telling them how to hold the bat or how to bunt you have a different issue all together.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi