Explicit Walk Up Music

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 1, 2023
New umpire here. Question for umpires and coaches. I was base ump at a U14 tournament yesterday. One team was playing batter introduction walk up music (perhaps 5-10 seconds long.) As one batter was walking up to the plate her music came on and it was very explicit (I’m no choir boy) enough to generate a collective gasp among the parents I was standing by. The music was immediately stopped but allowed to continue for the remainder of the game. My question is what would you have done? If I were the plate umpire I would have at the very least ended the walk up music for the remainder of the game. As a brand new base ump with a veteran behind the plate I let him handle it. He had a brief comment to the coach from afar. In hindsight after they’re at bat I should have at least asked him his thoughts and what he said to the coach. Thanks.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
If you're going to have walkup music, keep it clean. I zero issue with cursing or whatever lyrics within songs themselves, but they need to be kept out of walkup songs for obvious reasons. There are tons of young kids (outside of the players themselves) at the game. There's no need for it. This specific instance is on the coach, parents, and even the player. Have some common sense. There are plenty of songs in existence that something better could be found.

As far as "rules" or umpire involvement, that's outside my realm. I'm speaking strictly from opinion as a coach/parent.

Now, I'm not "anti-fun".....but my opinion of walkup music for softball tournaments did change recently. It never really bothered me until two weekends ago a team we were playing had walkup music (and it was loud) while a team playing on a field directly behind us also had loud walkup music. Often playing at the same times. It got irritating real quick.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If you're going to have walkup music, keep it clean. I zero issue with cursing or whatever lyrics within songs themselves, but they need to be kept out of walkup songs for obvious reasons. There are tons of young kids (outside of the players themselves) at the game. There's no need for it. This specific instance is on the coach, parents, and even the player. Have some common sense. There are plenty of songs in existence that something better could be found.

As far as "rules" or umpire involvement, that's outside my realm. I'm speaking strictly from opinion as a coach/parent.

Now, I'm not "anti-fun".....but my opinion of walkup music for softball tournaments did change recently. It never really bothered me until two weekends ago a team we were playing had walkup music (and it was loud) while a team playing on a field directly behind us also had loud walkup music. Often playing at the same times. It got irritating real quick.
Common Sense. That is not going to happen and you cant have the ump or TD policing every songs lyrics or volume. SO remember the good ole days when tournament rules didn't allow for amped music? That's the only solution. I hear racial slurs, sexual acts and violent lyrics at every tourney. Here is a popular one you will hear at every tourney. And there is much worse.

Woo! Bring 'em out, bring 'em out— Bring 'em out, bring 'em out—
It's hard to yell when the bar-rel's in your mouth
that other nigga got a hit, but shawty, he not me (Naw)
Who set the city on fire as soon as he got freed
The King back now, hoes don't even know how to act now
Hit the club, strippers getting naked 'fore I sat down

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I remember the days of the PMRC attacking heavy metal as if they had bad lyrics. The cRap out there now is just disgusting.

Personally, I can't stand walk-up music in HS and tournaments, but I guess I'm old. My local HS doesn't allow it because the opposing teams were using songs with lyrics that would make Tipper Gore's hair curl.

Jun 11, 2012
DD used the same walk up song most of her college career. There were definitely explicit lyrics in the song but they cut it to a few non explicit lines and only played that.
This is what was played
“Get out the way
Pretty boy comin' through
Me and my crew we swaggin' in the room”

She was lead off batter

Jan 22, 2011
I don't have time for a deep dive into this so I might eventually email a friend who is a patent attorney, but technically using walk-up music without a license is a copyright violation, especially if the game is being streamed.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I don't see how this is in any way under the purview of an umpire. 5-10 seconds isn't enough time to be delaying the game. Let the parents deal with what type of music their kids listen to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles