Umpires that "coach" players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 17, 2010
As a coach, I've seen several instances where an umpire attempts to help a young player with what could be construed as coaching instructions directly to the player. Particular instances I've seen:

• Telling a batter who just bunted the ball foul to be sure to run in the first base running lane next time.
  • Telling a batter to move further away from the plate.
  • Telling a catcher to move further back to avoid interfering with the batter's swing

I imagine there are more that others have seen. As a coach, this is easy to handle if the umpires come to the coach between innings. Just nod, smile, thank the umpire, then choose to bring it up to the player (or not :)).

The question is what to expect players to do when umpire goes directly to them especially during an at bat. I'd love for them to do the same "nod and smile" routine and continue to do as they were taught, but that's a lot to ask of a young player, especially when we expect them to respect the umpires actual calls (safe, out, strike, ball, etc). A young player (10U) has trouble deciphering the two cases.

Any thoughts?

Jan 18, 2011
Well, I'm a coach that decided to help ump. The only time I've ever given advice to any player is with 10U and that was the catcher to move back slightly. I can't in good judgment let a 10U catcher get hit by a bat, knowing I could have prevented it. I then at the end of that particular inning or half inning let the coach of said player know what I told his/her catcher. 12 and up I normally let go and tell the coach, only if I think someone could get hurt.

Nov 17, 2010
Thanks for the input.

I'm talking 10U ASA travel.

I'm fine with a clear safety issue or if an umpire wants to approach the coach with a issue between innings. But directly coaching players during an at bat is a bit over the line IMO. The instance that really irked me was moving the players away from the plate. No safety issue, especially at 10U when you could be in the dugout and still get hit with a pitch :)) Besides, they were a good 1 foot away the plate anyway. When they moved back, they couldn't reach the far side of the plate. We had been working on getting close enough to the plate all week.

Jul 28, 2008
As a coach, I've seen several instances where an umpire attempts to help a young player with what could be construed as coaching instructions directly to the player. Particular instances I've seen:

• Telling a batter who just bunted the ball foul to be sure to run in the first base running lane next time.
  • Telling a batter to move further away from the plate.
  • Telling a catcher to move further back to avoid interfering with the batter's swing

I imagine there are more that others have seen. As a coach, this is easy to handle if the umpires come to the coach between innings. Just nod, smile, thank the umpire, then choose to bring it up to the player (or not :)).

The question is what to expect players to do when umpire goes directly to them especially during an at bat. I'd love for them to do the same "nod and smile" routine and continue to do as they were taught, but that's a lot to ask of a young player, especially when we expect them to respect the umpires actual calls (safe, out, strike, ball, etc). A young player (10U) has trouble deciphering the two cases.

Any thoughts?

ASA Rules supplement #8 allows for the umpire to move the catcher to avoid injury from the batter.

(Fast Pitch) Catchers must remain in the catcher’s box until the pitch is
released. The catcher may move closer to the plate without penalty when
the batter is positioned in the front portion of the batter’s box during a pitch.
However, the catcher must, at all times, still avoid catcher’s obstruction as
the batter has the right to the entire batter’s box.
Obstruction does not require contact between the catcher and the bat or
the batter. The umpire’s request for the catcher to move farther away from
the batter to avoid injury or obstruction should be obeyed.
(See catcher
obstruction under RS #36.)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
[*]Telling a batter to move further away from the plate.
[*]Telling a catcher to move further back to avoid interfering with the batter's swing

Any thoughts?

I would have to assume the umpire is moving the players to meet the conditions of the rule. If the batter is not completely in the box, the umpire should holding the pitch and direct the batter to get into the box. Same with the catcher who must be within the catcher's box prior to allowing a pitch.

Oct 25, 2009
Probably wouldn't hurt a thing to speak with the umpire between innings. Or you could go and speak with him at the time of the incident. Might even be a good teaching moment for the kid; they could observe good sportsmanship by adults if it was handled properly. Sure beats getting called out for not running in the running lane.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
An umpire should NEVER tell a batter where to stand in the box. They are paid to ump the game not coach the girls period.

Now moving the catcher back to a safe position is fine...but that isn't coaching. That is ensuring the safety of the players. Last time I checked the batter can use the ENTIRE box...not just where the ump thinks she stand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802