Explicit Walk Up Music

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2018
I know I don't have a whole lot of room to speak as far as explicit music as I've heard plenty of it...especially in my days as a high school cheerleader (I'd especially hear it when my squadmates would play Anaconda and WAP). But by and large, I never fell into that place where I'd have to watch it because for the longest time, I had used Sad But True by Metallica as my walk up song. Then I'd changed to wrestling themes, then Babymetal, and now I use The Hu. Nothing offensive in any of these.
Well if Babymetal said something offensive, 99.9% of people wouldn't know anyway.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
During college and HS games the person in charge of the volume needs to sit in the stands and listen. It is so loud that it gives me headaches.

May 27, 2022
Check your state. It isn’t in the NFHS book, but I know our state prohibits artificial noisemakers in the dugout.
Not explicitly called out in Iowa. I was informed it is a sportsmanship issue: if the noise is unsportsmanlike - stop it. (like that is supposed to be helpful when explaining to coaches that their players banging on an empty bucket is 'unsportsmanlike' :rolleyes: )

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I don't see how this is in any way under the purview of an umpire. 5-10 seconds isn't enough time to be delaying the game. Let the parents deal with what type of music their kids listen to.
The problem isn't the type of music they listen to, it's making all of us subject to the music they listen to.
In recent years it has become common for people to play music on the golf course. Drives me up the wall. I don't want to hear it. If you want to listen to music on the golf course please use ear buds. Maybe we could do the same thing in softball.

Aug 5, 2022
Umpires stopped music once on our field because they were playing it during our at bats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2015
In Virginia (VHSL) high school softball (NFHS), there is no walk up music and no music allowed at all except during the half inning or inning ... I like the rule ... At one school we competed against they had two loud speakers, both facing above the visitors dugout and would blast their walk up music making it impossible for the coaches to communicate with their athletes.

Aside from that, I screened any music my athletes wanted to play during dead ball periods to make sure it was appropriate ... One time an athlete asked me if we could use her mothers playlist saying it was PG ... It was not, my bad ... Everything gets screened now and if I don't have the time it doesn't get played. Including something like Christian Rock since our school system has a policy against coaches participating in school prayer etc.
That's not been my experience in NOVA. At the Class 6 state championships, the VHSL announcers played random walkup songs for every player and played them so loud that our pitcher often had to wait for the song to end to get the pitch signal from the coach because she could not hear him yelling from the dugout. Every single game we played this year had walk up songs for the home team and music between innings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles