Umpires that "coach" players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Been there done that. Now, I coach and still have to make decisions and have people get mad at me for whatever reason they can come up with. You know what the difference is???? I don't get paid $24/hour.

And I have serious reservations that you were an umpire.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Wow could you guys blows out of proportion any further???? No one said they are independently wealthy, just merely paid fairly to work a GAME. You guys can thumb your noses at $24/hour, but it still is a nice wage. Let's see $30 times 8 games a weekend times at least 16 weekends...comes to $3840. There aren't too many part time gigs that are going to pay you that. Or pay you in cash....tax free.

There is no such thing as tax free money and you still haven't a clue as to what good pay is for an umpire.

Jun 22, 2008
Wow could you guys blows out of proportion any further???? No one said they are independently wealthy, just merely paid fairly to work a GAME. You guys can thumb your noses at $24/hour, but it still is a nice wage. Let's see $30 times 8 games a weekend times at least 16 weekends...comes to $3840. There aren't too many part time gigs that are going to pay you that. Or pay you in cash....tax free.

Money is not tax free, we get 1099 from each and every association we work for. Yes is comes to about $24 an hour actual game time, but doesnt even come close to that for the number of hours we are required to be at the fields. Also does not take into account registration fees for various organizations, class fees, uniforms, equipment etc.

Oct 25, 2009
Money is not tax free, we get 1099 from each and every association we work for. Yes is comes to about $24 an hour actual game time, but doesnt even come close to that for the number of hours we are required to be at the fields. Also does not take into account registration fees for various organizations, class fees, uniforms, equipment etc.

And the tips you get can't be spent!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Question about umpires being paid.

If a game is called due to weather does an umpire get paid or does the game need to start?

Jun 22, 2008
Question about umpires being paid.

If a game is called due to weather does an umpire get paid or does the game need to start?

Depends on who you are working for. For something like a weekend ASA tournament, you dont get paid unless the game has started. For FED (high school) if we are not told the game is cancelled and arrive at the field, we are due the game fee regardless of if the game is played or not. It may be different in different locations.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Wow, now I am a liar. All because I said that $24/hour is a pretty good wage. Whatever.

Do you ever post to what is actually said, or do you make it up as you go along?

I didn't say you didn't umpire a game, but putting on a shirt and hat and calling games does not make one an umpire.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Thanks, I have never been on the administrative side and was curious.

It alse depends on where you are, what your local association has contracted to do and what the general market will bear.

In my area, the an ASA or HS umpire does not get paid unless the game actually starts. If it doesn't become a legal game, the umpire gets half pay. If legal, full pay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi