Turning the barrel 6

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
But it Happens Muddy because it is where part of the ability to adjust to the pitch takes place,
Simply disagree again with that statement. If a hitter is pushing her/his hands that far forward "adjusting" to the pitch...s/he got a terrible read on the ball initially, and that is simply a two-strike "get the barrel on ball" hand flick in an attempt to foul if off. But to "direct" the hands that far forward and well ahead of the lower half (hips), and then try to "launch the barrel" from there is giving up all of the power from the lower half as is demonstrated in the swing posted.

Yes, if you push your hands out towards the ball longer you'll have a better chance of making contact with the ball...but at the negative of pretty much just hitting with the strength of the forearms and wrists, and the little momentum the might have been created with the shoulders turning them forward. But to do that is to lose the much greater power developed by a properly timed (read "sequenced") swing using the much larger muscles of the legs, hips, torso, or simply stated, the "lower half.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Simply disagree again with that statement. If a hitter is pushing her/his hands that far forward "adjusting" to the pitch...s/he got a terrible read on the ball initially, and that is simply a two-strike "get the barrel on ball" hand flick in an attempt to foul if off. But to "direct" the hands that far forward and well ahead of the lower half (hips), and then try to "launch the barrel" from there is giving up all of the power from the lower half as is demonstrated in the swing posted.

Yes, if you push your hands out towards the ball longer you'll have a better chance of making contact with the ball...but at the negative of pretty much just hitting with the strength of the forearms and wrists, and the little momentum the might have been created with the shoulders turning them forward. But to do that is to lose the much greater power developed by a properly timed (read "sequenced") swing using the much larger muscles of the legs, hips, torso, or simply stated, the "lower half.
nohands.gif

THis bat is lagged almost to his front foot

His other adjustment was he "sat" deeper.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2015
nohands.gif

THis bat is lagged almost to his front foot

His other adjustment was he "sat" deeper.
I think I've already addressed that....
In JMO...while slo-mo video is helpful in some cases...I believe that some have used it incorrectly in order to make adopt theories that are taking "effects", and attempting to make them into "causes".

Years back at another site, a member attempted to state that the "lag" position was somehow a checkpoint, and as a result, tried to create a new teachable theory off of it. Needless to say that didn't fly, and it was eventually dropped...but unfortunately I think that the same happened (is happening) with the "direction" before the TTB theory we're seeing the past year or so now.
Sorry, not understanding/getting your point. =(

Apr 11, 2015
Yes, i must not trust what i see Mud.
So are you saying that Todd has not already read the pitch, and is "launching the barrel" to the ball in this part of the swing....
W6M9QJW.gif

...but instead is still going to "direct" his hands to the ball further, and actually "launch" it later?

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I like what she is doing. I understand that it a teaching trick. in real time, this will translate into staying above the ball.

Demos like this happen all the time, from the best hitters in the world, and there is a reason for what they say.

Over exaggeration is a REAL teaching trick.

Didnt seem to hurt her swing

tumblr_ou4s7fkjoI1usf292o1_400.gif

If a hitters hands move forward like this they are COOKED...
Yeah....the real 'trick' was in who was going to 'buy' the video and 'buy' into this mess....
Not even close to Bustos game swing:
tumblr_pecj5rYzhU1usf292o1_400.gif

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes. That's basically another version of getting into the position of the old "Stretch and Fire" (SnF) drill from long ago....
quJHTXf.gif

I don't have it, but maybe RDB or FFS can post one with both of the hitter's feet on the ground closer to your clip instead of this one-leg version.

Is this what you are looking for?

YpZZefh.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like what she is doing. I understand that it a teaching trick. in real time, this will translate into staying above the ball.

Demos like this happen all the time, from the best hitters in the world, and there is a reason for what they say.

Over exaggeration is a REAL teaching trick.

Didnt seem to hurt her swing

Mann, this demo here is pure rubbish.

The reason it did not hurt her swing is that what she taught was what she heard taught, and not what she herself did.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06