Pre turn

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
IMB_hDm97F.gif

What are your thoughts about pre turning the back foot/leg/hip and shoulders. I hear people saying it’s a bad thing.

A little different then this, where you stay closed longer.

PNG image.png

IMG_3471.jpeg

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
A lot has to do with the natural align of your hip-leg-foot. If the foot turns out a little when you walk or run then you're probably going to have the same thing in your push off. However an early turn out can lead to poor lower body mechanics and an excessive dragging of the foot.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Turning the shoulders early is a lot more common than you would think. When you slow down a pitching motion, at 3 o'clock, a lot of very good pitchers have the glove arm out further than the throwing arm, meaning that the shoulders are open. I generally discourage it but since it is common I don't insist. You can see it in the Rachel Garcia clip.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I understand that pre turning can create drive issues. The fact is they still drive even with the pre turn position.

She pre turns, the the hips/back leg/foot. The leg drive/stride follow the position of the hips. Therefor she strides across the power line.

IMB_Yfjm75.gif

IMB_eDAMmn.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles