Elite Pitching Instructor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2018
Hello, my DD is going to pitch at a DII Uni this Fall. I'm looking for an Elite pitching coach in the Orange County/inland Empire area to further fine tune her skills before she goes. I've heard about a coach in Norco/Chino Hills area who routinely churns out DI pitchers but I wasn't able to track her down. I'm open to any established elite pitching coach. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Hello, my DD is going to pitch at a DII Uni this Fall. I'm looking for an Elite pitching coach in the Orange County/inland Empire area to further fine tune her skills before she goes. I've heard about a coach in Norco/Chino Hills area who routinely churns out DI pitchers but I wasn't able to track her down. I'm open to any established elite pitching coach. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Apparently the college coaches think she is ready if she is already signed to play D2. What's wrong with the coach she's using right now?

Apr 8, 2018
Apparently the college coaches think she is ready if she is already signed to play D2. What's wrong with the coach she's using right now?
I trained her to start then we've bounced around with different coaches trying to take her to the next level. She had a mechanics related injury a couple years back and set her back a bit. She had to relearn all her pitches with new mechanics. Her last coach is the head coach of her club team but since last PGF we haven't been able to get a compatible time slot with her (long story). She has great movement but needs to pick up speed. I'm hoping to find a coach who can help improve this.

Jan 25, 2022
maybe check with radcatcher here. I believe she's in California and probably knows some pitching instructors. I would tag her here but I don't know how.

Jan 25, 2022
Type @ and their username to tag someone. Once you get a few characters in a list of matches should pop up that you can select from.

@RADcatcher
That's actually what I was thinking initially, but nothing popped up so thought I had remembered incorrectly. It pops up now. Maybe my browser fell asleep or something.

JOHNN

Just a dad of 3 girls
Aug 5, 2019
South Louisiana
Check with Powerhouse Mechanics. They are based out of San Diego but also have coaches in Santa Ana

Powerhouse Mechanics

Aug 21, 2008
Gary Mullican. I think his business is called Strictly softball. I don't know where in the greater LA area he's located, nor do I know what his availability would be. Gary was an All American catcher in the men's fastpitch game. Might've made the all world team too, I'm not sure. He's been a coach with USA softball and doesn't do a lot of self promoting. If you want, I can get you his info to contact him.

The other option is Jason Iuli, Powerhouse Mechanics. Jason was a pretty good pitcher during his playing days, he can certainly speak from experience about all things pitching related. Same thing here, I can gladly supply you with Jason's contact info. Although I know he has an active social media presence so he may be easier to find.

I've known both for 30 years or so. To give you fair warning, and there's plenty of info for you to check out online about Iuli and Powerhouse mechanics, I am a little concerned for some of his students that he proudly posts videos of. He has embraced the new pitching rule, of allowing pitchers to leap, and the videos clearly show not only crow hopping but, BIG TIME crow hopping. He doesn't seem to draw a distinction between leaping (which is now legal) and crowhopping which isn't. Jason's position is that it's legal now, he seems to think the girl's game and new pitching rules are equal with what is called (or not called) in men's fastpitch. If you don't know this, basically in men's fastpitch there's 1 rule only: don't throw overhand when pitching. That's about it. Anything goes and the guys like it that way. But, we have no idea how the umpires are going to call this new rule for the girls and what they're going to allow. Personally I think he's making a mistake in actively teaching the girls to jump and pitch like the males do. We just don't know how things are going to be called. I do believe that ultimately the girl's game will become similar to the men's, where umpires don't call illegal pitches. But that massive leaping, crowhopping that men do didn't start until the mid 1980's. I believe the girls game will ultimately get to the same place but, maybe not in 2024. We just don't know. I'm worried some of these girls will be jumping around and called illegal, then not have a clue how to correct things to pitch "legally". And, as we all know, every umpire is different. Some will call everything illegal, some will call nothing illegal.

As I've said before, we still have umpires who believe "present the ball" is a rule. It's not. So if they haven't updated their rule books for that simple thing, how are we going to expect them to update their views of a pitcher jumping??

Jan 25, 2022
Gary Mullican. I think his business is called Strictly softball. I don't know where in the greater LA area he's located, nor do I know what his availability would be. Gary was an All American catcher in the men's fastpitch game. Might've made the all world team too, I'm not sure. He's been a coach with USA softball and doesn't do a lot of self promoting. If you want, I can get you his info to contact him.

The other option is Jason Iuli, Powerhouse Mechanics. Jason was a pretty good pitcher during his playing days, he can certainly speak from experience about all things pitching related. Same thing here, I can gladly supply you with Jason's contact info. Although I know he has an active social media presence so he may be easier to find.

I've known both for 30 years or so. To give you fair warning, and there's plenty of info for you to check out online about Iuli and Powerhouse mechanics, I am a little concerned for some of his students that he proudly posts videos of. He has embraced the new pitching rule, of allowing pitchers to leap, and the videos clearly show not only crow hopping but, BIG TIME crow hopping. He doesn't seem to draw a distinction between leaping (which is now legal) and crowhopping which isn't. Jason's position is that it's legal now, he seems to think the girl's game and new pitching rules are equal with what is called (or not called) in men's fastpitch. If you don't know this, basically in men's fastpitch there's 1 rule only: don't throw overhand when pitching. That's about it. Anything goes and the guys like it that way. But, we have no idea how the umpires are going to call this new rule for the girls and what they're going to allow. Personally I think he's making a mistake in actively teaching the girls to jump and pitch like the males do. We just don't know how things are going to be called. I do believe that ultimately the girl's game will become similar to the men's, where umpires don't call illegal pitches. But that massive leaping, crowhopping that men do didn't start until the mid 1980's. I believe the girls game will ultimately get to the same place but, maybe not in 2024. We just don't know. I'm worried some of these girls will be jumping around and called illegal, then not have a clue how to correct things to pitch "legally". And, as we all know, every umpire is different. Some will call everything illegal, some will call nothing illegal.

As I've said before, we still have umpires who believe "present the ball" is a rule. It's not. So if they haven't updated their rule books for that simple thing, how are we going to expect them to update their views of a pitcher jumping??

I watched one of his videos a few days ago, showing what was clearly a replant and saying why it's not a replant. I forget what the reasoning was, but it had something to do with there being no additional forward push after the back foot planted. But it wasn't a toe drag leap a la Jordy Bahl. This girl grabbed a ton of air with closed hips (IIRC) and landed on the bottom of her back foot. Skirting the nuances of the rules could be a real hassle when an ump is calling that and the pitcher can't adjust in the moment.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles