Turning the barrel 6

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Release, is turning the barrel. Being that the bat is still on his shoulder.
Me, i do not do what Manny is doing so well, i let it go to early, my arms get long.

AND, how can you stop your swing like in the gif, if the barrel is turning?

Mann ... if you are 'releasing' then you are not actively attempting to apply pressure to the handle.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Another example of Lag to release:
tumblr_ou4s7fkjoI1usf292o1_400.gif

In my opinion this is an example of complete garbage.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The body turn is getting the barrel up to speed, along with some extension i believe.
To work this conversation out i set up a machine at 40 feet and 70 mph. then even closer. i was so very easy to hit this velocity if i was in the position of manny, but not if i just swung at the ball, so i used direction with a loaded barrel, and i was very easy. I just back engineered from there for a smooth efficient swing.

Maybe it is me, but this comes off as gibberish to me.

"Then even closer"
.... how much closer?

"if I was in the position of manny" ... are you suggesting a static start is the best way to hit fast pitching?

"but not if i just swung at the ball" ... were you bunting in the prior 'position of manny' and not swinging?

"so i used direction with a loaded barrel" ... was that what the girl you posted was doing when she pulled the barrel out front without turning/arcing/orbiting the barrel?

Drag_It.gif

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
"Creating lag is the hidden move in the golf swing that all powerful hitters have, turning a seemingly smooth and rhythmic movement into impressive distance. It all stems from the angle between the shaft and the left forearm in the downswing. The longer your wrists can maintain this angle, the better the lag will be"

from "What is lag in the golf swing" - Golf Monthly

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
"Whatever direction your hands move, the paintbrush does, too, but in a trailing position"
"This is where you let the angle in the wrists go too soon – usually at the top of the backswing. The shaft ‘kicks’ at the wrong moment, releasing the power that was previously stored by your wrist angle.
Read more at https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/videos/long-game-tips/what-is-lag-in-the-golf-swing#EsCGQhZhvIKCOieL.99"

"One drill I use is quarter swings holding lag and working on hip rotation" (mud)

"I am actively holding the lag, I don't see a way around it. Commentators always mention the strength needed to maintain lag, can't apply force without tension"

"Many a player has set forth on the quest for golf technique’s holy grail, “lag.”"

Apr 11, 2015
TTB ... Good drill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLEArvLwjGo

I believe after you get the hang of it there should be no pause, just a continuous flow.
Yes. That's basically another version of getting into the position of the old "Stretch and Fire" (SnF) drill from long ago....
quJHTXf.gif

I don't have it, but maybe RDB or FFS can post one with both of the hitter's feet on the ground closer to your clip instead of this one-leg version.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
So you're in essence saying this is the correct way of TTB?
Uzl31Fn.gif

And yes, that was taken from the hitter's full swing to the ball.

Not a whole lot of power/energy into the ball with the hands "directed" to some out front location, and then "releasing"/TTB from there...IMO.

But it Happens Muddy because it is where part of the ability to adjust to the pitch takes place,

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I believe in this about lag, from baseball rebellion except for a couple things.

Bat Lag
Bat lag occurs when the hitter turns so that the knob is facing the pitcher while the tip of the bat faces the catcher. It is the moment just prior to the barrel being released away from the back shoulder. The timing of the bat lag position should change slightly based on the location of the pitch. The more outside the pitch, the earlier in the swing the barrel should be released from the shoulder. The more inside the pitch, the later the barrel should be released from the shoulder. The transition from separation to bat lag is where I think most hitters can feel their hands work to direct the knob and barrel accurately to or inside the ball. It is highly important that hitters continue turning the hips and shoulders as they get into bat lag. Both Pujols and Jackson fail to do this in their demonstrations but succeed in their game swings. While I don’t think that Pujols and Jackson’s demonstrations are very accurate, it is valuable to notice that their thoughts on upper body mechanics lead them to great upper body positions in games. While we generally avoid using many of the terms used by Pujols and Jackson, some of their mental cues like taking the knob inside the ball can be good for certain players as long as they happen in the correct sequence and are blended with a powerful lower half turn. For instance, the knob inside the ball cue can help hitters get into a proper bat lag position. The ability to do this can help eliminate bat drag which is a big issue in many youth players. Other cues like swing down to the ball bring little to no value.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
In my opinion this is an example of complete garbage.

I like what she is doing. I understand that it a teaching trick. in real time, this will translate into staying above the ball.

Demos like this happen all the time, from the best hitters in the world, and there is a reason for what they say.

Over exaggeration is a REAL teaching trick.

Didnt seem to hurt her swing

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06