Turning the barrel 6

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am not so much a follower of 'connection'. I do believe there is a point in the swing where the hands are in a position that resembles what some people call 'connection', but it isn't something I am attempting to accomplish when I swing. This is another thing that I believe happens during the swing as a result of other actions. I prefer to think of it as swinging on the "right side of the body" (for a right handed hitter). It is this component that I believe your hitter fails to control during that drill. Her hands move too far across her body. That said, I'm not completely sure what you are working on in that drill. Many instructors will utilize exaggerations in order to get their point across.

eID2gOw.jpg
ZOcSMee.jpg

If folks truly understood 'connection' then they would realize that it happens by trying ***NOT*** to be connected.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
[MENTION=12657]Mudders Brudder[/MENTION]… Here is another way of looking at the differences (or similarities, as I consider them...). Please watch the attached video. Matt Antonelli has some pretty good videos. This one provides a fair description of what I consider TTB. Curious if you are in agreement with his description.

https://youtu.be/N0_RPmPlrxM

The first gif below is his demo of TTB.

VNSi7We.gif

The next gif is just the first piece of it. To me this is where a lot of the conflict occurs. Some of the people that speak of hand path, early direction, flashing the knob, etc. are essentially talking about this portion. Before the barrel really starts to turn very much. It's all a matter of what end of the bat you want to focus on. The barrel? Yes, this is the end of the bat that you utilize to hit the ball (hopefully...). It is also the easier part of the bat to watch movement. Just a small movement on the knob side is going to create a much larger movement on the barrel side. The knob? Yes, this is the end that the hands are attached to. And I don't think it is arguable that the barrel would never turn if the hands didn't make it happen. It just seems to me that some people prefer to focus on the end of the bat that is attached to the hands and watching what direction the knob is pointing and when. Just my .02...

nqDSPQy.gif

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
[MENTION=12657]Mudders Brudder[/MENTION]… Here is another way of looking at the differences (or similarities, as I consider them...). Please watch the attached video. Matt Antonelli has some pretty good videos. This one provides a fair description of what I consider TTB. Curious if you are in agreement with his description.

https://youtu.be/N0_RPmPlrxM

The first gif below is his demo of TTB.

VNSi7We.gif

The next gif is just the first piece of it. To me this is where a lot of the conflict occurs. Some of the people that speak of hand path, early direction, flashing the knob, etc. are essentially talking about this portion. Before the barrel really starts to turn very much. It's all a matter of what end of the bat you want to focus on. The barrel? Yes, this is the end of the bat that you utilize to hit the ball (hopefully...). It is also the easier part of the bat to watch movement. Just a small movement on the knob side is going to create a much larger movement on the barrel side. The knob? Yes, this is the end that the hands are attached to. And I don't think it is arguable that the barrel would never turn if the hands didn't make it happen. It just seems to me that some people prefer to focus on the end of the bat that is attached to the hands and watching what direction the knob is pointing and when. Just my .02...

nqDSPQy.gif

Great post! Nailed it.
This is exactly how I see turn the barrel . The hands set the angle/plane . Straight to the ball from there. Barrel gets delivered and released. HYPs version of path rotational(TTB) to linear is spot on IMO.

May 12, 2016
Great post! Nailed it.
This is exactly how I see turn the barrel . The hands set the angle/plane . Straight to the ball from there. Barrel gets delivered and released. HYPs version of path rotational(TTB) to linear is spot on IMO.

Where can I find "HYPs version of path rotational(TTB) to linear?"

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
JMHO. This is an example of shoulder rotation turning the barrel into the ball:
VNSi7We.gif

I agree he gets a little carried away with some of his movements, but I was focusing more on the path of the barrel. I'm not sure I have ever seen an example that I would classify as 'perfect'.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Where can I find "HYPs version of path rotational(TTB) to linear?"

Baseballdebateproboards.com Search members HYP. Search his posts or just search ‘rotational to linear’. 1CHapterahead is another member who explains it well also. He doesn’t use TTB though he uses direct load launch as his terminology for barrel turn/hand path .

May 12, 2016
JMHO. This is an example of shoulder rotation turning the barrel into the ball:
VNSi7We.gif

Not disagreeing, just trying to understand. I don't understand how the shoulders are supposed to work on a high inside pitch if this isn't correct.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not disagreeing, just trying to understand. I don't understand how the shoulders are supposed to work on a high inside pitch if this isn't correct.

I don't/didn't see a ball....I didn't 'picture' the ball as high and inside. I assumed he was/would demo a pitch down the middle.
l2Ztzxq.gif

VNSi7We.gif

I'm also not disagreeing....

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
I don't/didn't see a ball....I didn't 'picture' the ball as high and inside. I assumed he was/would demo a pitch down the middle.
l2Ztzxq.gif

VNSi7We.gif

I also not disagreeing....

There is no ball.. just following the path of the barrel.. looks like an above the belt inside pitch to me but I could be wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG