Things that coaches and parents say, that don't help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Late to the party....worse negative statement when hurt..."Don't rub it".....best statement..."Rub some dirt in it".

Jul 26, 2010
The issue isn't that these things being said are annoying. The issue is that many "coaches" say them in lieu of actually coaching/teaching. I guess it helps them sleep better? I dunno.

-W

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Whats funny is what it can conjure up "other than consciously" and what it means to different ages and people. Example: Our TB head coach, the tb girls and i... coached a beginning 10u rec team last summer. With TB girls 16 u then....we would say "on your toes...on your toes"...obvious to them...the meaning was "be ready". When he said it to the 10u team... the ss immediately started trying to get on the tips of her toes like a ballerina for the next minute. What can you say! :)

Jul 26, 2010
Whats funny is what it can conjure up "other than consciously" and what it means to different ages and people. Example: Our TB head coach, the tb girls and i... coached a beginning 10u rec team last summer. With TB girls 16 u then....we would say "on your toes...on your toes"...obvious to them...the meaning was "be ready". When he said it to the 10u team... the ss immediately started trying to get on the tips of her toes like a ballerina for the next minute. What can you say! :)

I get confused very easily, I remember one game when I was coaching my 6 year olds t-ball team and I said "on your toes", and they all actually stood on their tippy-toes. It was a facepalm moment for sure and why I'm still able to laugh at myself for saying these things. I wonder if someone said "gloves in the dirt", they'd probably take off their glove and bury it.

-W

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
Former-Brother-Inlaw was coaching a high school team in Decatur, IL a number of years ago. While on the bus headed to a game, he thought he would go over the signs. He told them that when he touched his hat it was the "indicator" and then the sign would follow.
One of the girls piped up, "But coach, we aren't 'in Decatur'".:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish