Things that coaches and parents say, that don't help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The issue isn't that these things being said are annoying. The issue is that many "coaches" say them in lieu of actually coaching/teaching. I guess it helps them sleep better? I dunno.

-W

That and the things that coaches and parents say that actually have the opposite affect then what they want.

Another one is when the count is 0-2 and someone shouts out to their kid. Watch for the change up.

Sep 3, 2009
Saw a game tonight where the catcher was averaging about two passed balls per batter. She'd miss one, and go chase it as the runner on 3 would score. And the parents would shout out, "you gotta stop those"... masters of the obvious.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I love the scorekeepers... She hit it to Left last time up... Uh yea thanks but now we are pitching her outside. Drives me crazy

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
In a game Monday, we brought in a relief pitcher as #1 was out of gas - 90 degree day with the wonderful NJ humidity. Pitcher warmed up wonderfully then threw 6 starihgt balls. Why? Rushing thru her motion and holding her breath due to nerves - she forgot to breathe !. Once we reminded her "to breathe" she threw strikes. She is 13 .....these things happen.

Nov 17, 2010
Saw a great example of what coaches say during a game that don't help - in fact - it hurt this team over and over while we played them.

10U ASA travel. Elimination Day of a 12 team tournament. We're home. The visitors are in the 3rd base dugout. Their catcher had a great arm - most throws were on line and low. Every single time we would steal 2nd or 3rd, the visiting coaches, in unison, would yell out "TAG HER!!!!" when the ball was half way to the base. And every single time the SS or 3B would fail to catch the ball. I felt particulary bad for their 3B, she was 10 or 20 feet away from two morons yelling at her a half a second before the ball arrived.

Our 1b coach (me) was sending people all game knowing that even the best throw would get past the fielder.

I'm sure every girl on that team knew to tag the runner on a steal, but these coaches throught they would justify their presence at the expense of their team's performance. Really sad. The time to teach is during practice. If you're teaching in the middle of a play - you've already lost.

Jun 15, 2011
Some of these I do...some I don't.

Saying "watch for the change up" is one I would never do.

However, if you have ever coached kids who watch a 3rd strike (you haven't coached much if you haven't), then you understand the need to remind the players that two strikes brings a different mindset to the plate. This is especially true of 12u and below. I'll continue to remind my players to "protect" ...although I usually say "you have two strikes" and not "protect".

Also, if you have a pitcher who tries to guide the ball for smaller batters with smaller strike zones, then I can see value in placing a mindset with the pitcher that she should throw the ball no differently with small batter in the box then she does with a taller girl. I currently have a pitcher that tries to guide the ball on smaller batters and it results in lost velocity and balls in the dirt. I have no problem with conveying the imagery that she is just throwing to the glove.

Here's one that I use that might draw criticism...

...when I have a kid that drops a throw to the base because they are more concerned about the runner than catching the ball, I tell them..."catch first...tag second". Now...before I get tagged as Mr. Obvious, I thind the important thing is that I'm trying to create a progression of thought for my infielders to go through in order to eliminate turning and dropping the glove for the tag BEFORE they have secured the ball. I want the imagery of...it's only you and the catcher (or whomever is throwing the ball to the base) until the ball is caught THEN it becomes about the tag. We practice it and it works.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Kind of a different twist to this. What players do that make me laugh. First and foremost - Batter takes a Strike, looks over to me and shakes her head "yes". Gee thanks kiddo for telling me what the umpire just yelled. Hahaha

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
...when I have a kid that drops a throw to the base because they are more concerned about the runner than catching the ball, I tell them..."catch first...tag second". Now...before I get tagged as Mr. Obvious, I thind the important thing is that I'm trying to create a progression of thought for my infielders to go through in order to eliminate turning and dropping the glove for the tag BEFORE they have secured the ball. I want the imagery of...it's only you and the catcher (or whomever is throwing the ball to the base) until the ball is caught THEN it becomes about the tag. We practice it and it works.

Yeah, I agree. I think what you need to say depends on the skill level and age of your players. On dropped third strikes I have to scream "RUN EMMA (or whoever) RUN!" to several of my girls. This is new to them this year and some of them will be standing there pouting/deer in the headlights about a called 3rd while the catcher is running to the backstop.

Some girls hesitate and watch their hit before running, initiating the obvious yell from the coach to run.

The thing I hate though, are many of the things Michelle Smith says as a commentator. Most of all when she talks about a batter "keeping her hands inside the ball" DUH! Her explaination of how the riseball "works" perpetuates an uninformed ignorance that permeates the sport. She also encourages batters to keep their weight on the back foot, I wonder if she promotes "squish-the-bug" too?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
To catch "there's 2 strikes, don't drop this one."

I am sure young catchers were planning on dropping it before they were aware that there were two strikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish