Things that coaches and parents say, that don't help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
My fave is when someone tells the pitcher and catcher to just "play catch". Like that's what they are doing.
At 8u and 10u, that's exactly what they're doing.

I'm a vocal coach, because it's my job to teach the girls the game and also to keep them focused on what they're doing so that 1) they won't get hurt and 2) they'll have a better chance to succeed. In the games where I've 'toned it down' per Team Mom's request, the girls have underperformed to the point where parents of several players have reminded me that the girls feed off my energy.

I don't say a lot to my pitchers, because I consider theirs to be the toughest job on the field at this age. But if they're spacing out or getting down on themselves at 10 straight balls, then I'm going to say something to hopefully bring them back into the zone.

When fielders aren't down and ready, they're going to hear it. When they aren't communicating on fly balls, I'm going to say something after the play. When a lefty is up, I'm shifting the defense. When a small hitter is up, I want everyone in and will remind 2B to cover 1B on a slow roller to the right side. When I have our #4 1B - a 1st-year player - in, I have to remind her to get the ball back to the circle regardless of what's happening elsewhere on the field. With 2 strikes, there are days when some of my batters will just stand there. If they're not loaded and ready, then that's an effort issue. If a kid swings at a bad pitch over her head, though, I don't say anything, I just offer a hand single to remind them of the zone limits. I have one batter who looks at me on EVERY strike. I always have to tell her to look at the ball, not me, not that it helps.

We only get 1 day of practice each week, plus pregame, so by the very nature of rec ball, a lot of teaching has to take place during games. If I just let them wander out there in games offering only minimal direction, then I wouldn't be doing my job. It does not bother me that some of you disagree, however. Having experimented with both styles, I know what works best for the team I have in this league, but I know, too, that I don't take it nearly as far as other coaches out there.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I can agree with most of these.. But I guess I on a couple of these, I will continue to be that annoying coach that you all
hate to hear..

Such as:

Reminding your pitcher (especially the younger ones) to cover home with a runner on 3rd on anything past?? That’s just good coaching.

Keep reminding them (especially the younger ones) and they will continue to need to cover home often

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
I'm sadly guilty of many of these. I think I'll be changing my tune, but quick.

My fave is when someone tells the pitcher and catcher to just "play catch". Like that's what they are doing.

My DD is the catcher and the coach's DD is the pitcher. We say this one a lot when the pitcher gets frazzled. if that doesn't work, I send my DD to the circle to cheer up the pitcher. Oh and we use FOCUS a lot. My DD needs that to get her head back in the game sometimes, but I have now resorted to hand signals instead of yelling.

We had a dad last year with every pitch
"you're over it"
"you're under it"
"too late"
"too early"
"too slow"
We still make fun of him, no wonder his DD didn't want to play

Mar 13, 2010
My gaves I get are 'just throw it across the plate!' Most of the time these are from people I play with and you would think after they've played the game for 20 years, they'd know better!

'Calm down' is another favourite one! Never works. Same as 'just breathe' (for some odd reason, my shortstop this year would constantly say 'and now we're going to inhale then exhale' which always worked because I'd crack up)

Feb 26, 2011
Come on now. Any one thats has coached very long has said all of these at some point in their glorious coaching career.
The one that I hate to hear the most comes from my wife.(imagine that)
Our DD is pitching and batter does not swing at a couple called strikes she ALWAYS yells , Come on strike her out she isnt swinging.
I swear when she does that I would like to walk out of the dugout and punch her in the mouth myself. (I'm KIDDING I would never do that) But for some reason that one really gets me the most.

Jul 28, 2008
"Good eye" when they hold up on the pitch that sails over their head or comes rolling in always has me scratching my head. :/

Feb 26, 2010
West Chicago Il
That's a big reason why teams play so many games, a lot of coaches are trying to instruct their players on every play or pitch instead of being a voice of support and positive encouragement. Concentrate on the positive for the game and leave the instruction for the practices. My teams consistently play more relaxed and have more fun when this approach is used.

Jul 1, 2010
How about "hit the ball and run"? Ya think? "See the ball, hit the ball". Naw, the sun's too bright to keep my eyes open! Heard those at a 12U TB tournament!

Seriously, any encouraging, positive, even laughable, comments are good for the young and older kids. The ones that get under my skin are the Dads (and Moms) that are constantly coaching, usually in a negative fashion, from the stands. "get your feet/hands set, c'mon get those hands/elbow/head up, OMG, you've got to catch that, nice golf swing, just throw strikes".

I saw a 10U girl a few years back come onto our team as one of the best hitters and fielders in our area. I watched her father destroy her love of softball (as well as her confidence) as he coached/corrected/harrangued her from the stands throughout each game. Eventually, she was so self-concious that she couldn't field or hit. She ended up leaving due to lack of playing time.

Sad thing is I see this a lot at HS games too!

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
How many times have you heard the comment, "Swing Hard"? Sounds good in theory, but don't we really want our young players to swing quick? The last thing you want is your player tensing, especially when facing a pitcher with speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish