Things that coaches and parents say, that don't help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not what they say but a behavior:

When your DD is pitching, standing behind the umpire and analyzing everything is not going to help your DD pitch or get calls.

Dec 10, 2010
A, A
Coach or parent to pitcher. "Throw Strikes" Really, what do you think she has been trying to do? Do you think she has been trying to walk the last 2 batters?

As the parent of a pitcher....THIS drives me nuts when I hear the coach scream that. Like you said....what do they think they are trying to do.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Another one is when the count is 0-2 and someone shouts out to their kid. Watch for the change up.

I saw this this weekend and thought about this post. Parent shouted it out very loudly in 12u. My GDD heard this and the coach had actually called for it. She shook it off and called for the fastball. Came right down the middle and batter was frozen. If looks could kill. GDD's coach thought she had missed the sign, but when she explained it to him, he had a good laugh.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This past weekend we had a girl get intentionally walked. So the catcher is standing behind the left batters box taking these pitches that are head high and 2 feet out of the strike zone. I am coaching 3rd base and I hear from behind me, good eye good eye, after each pitch. At first I thought, no that only sounds like my wife, then I thought maybe its her sister, by the 3rd pitch I was pretty certain it was my wife congratulating a girl for her fine pitch selection on an intentional walk.

Jul 28, 2008
...when I have a kid that drops a throw to the base because they are more concerned about the runner than catching the ball, I tell them..."catch first...tag second". Now...before I get tagged as Mr. Obvious, I thind the important thing is that I'm trying to create a progression of thought for my infielders to go through in order to eliminate turning and dropping the glove for the tag BEFORE they have secured the ball.

On this note, I just heard this weekend, "Ball, Base, Backup" as an order of importance for fielders. I like it and will use it.

Jun 24, 2011
The comment that's bugged me since my DD started travel is, "that's a rec ball mistake."

Uh, no, that's a softball mistake, no matter what level you're playing at. It's also made by the same coach who would rather point fingers and cast judgment than actually teach.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish