the cleat problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I've never found a really nice pair of cleats, like one of those pairs that you buy 3 of so that when one wears out you have another. I have a couple questions for all the helpful softball people out there:

1. What are some brands and models of cleats that you or your DD liked? (Btw I'm not a pitcher, I'm third base)

2. Mens vs Womens cleats? (I've heard of people wearing men's cleats because there are more options, do you think there's a benefit to women's cleats? Or should people just wear what's comfortable?)

3. Low vs. Mid cleats? Any benefits for either one, or whatever is comfortable?

4. And of course...metal or molded? In high school ball I can't wear metal but in travel I can, and I've always worn molded.

Thanks for your opinions! This kid has got to get herself some good cleats for the upcoming season!

Jul 26, 2010
I like the Ringorz a lot, they have molded and metal versions. Metal is superior in every way where rules allow. A lot of people like these. Opt for the diamond models without the pitcher toe, they're much lighter then the "standard" model.

A lot of kids like the Mizuno cleats as well, I think they made a model with screw in spikes so you can replace the metal with molded for your HS games. Honestly though, shoes are personal, everyone has different feet, but only a few dozen models to choose from. Ultimately you're going to have to just figure out what works best for you.

-W

Apr 1, 2010
2. Mens vs Womens cleats? (I've heard of people wearing men's cleats because there are more options, do you think there's a benefit to women's cleats? Or should people just wear what's comfortable?)

My DD is wearing one of the UA men's cleats. Her feet are more comfortable in a wider shoe and the standard width for men's shoes is C, while the standard width for women's shoes is B.

Apr 27, 2009
I love boys and mens cleats because they are wider, too. And if you fit in boys they are cheaper (perhaps more cheaply made, but look the same.)

But I love that pitching toe of the Ringors so I bet they pay the same attention to the whole cleat.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Good thread, my DD is currently looking for cleats for HS season.
How do the pitchers out there like Ringgor Metal cleats? DD is skeptical of metal,
she thinks they might get caught on the rubber

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Amy-thanks fro the feedback.

OP-regarding mid or low rise shoes--I have had numerous parents ask over the years
which they should buy, I have never wavered in answering: "whatever you are most comfortable in"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32