Catchers Cleats - spikes wearing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I can certainly understand the criticism. Honestly we don't care so much about the LD label and really just want our DD to be with one of the coaches who is heading to that org.
I wish everyone the best of luck. JL has expanded that organization explosively over the last two year. As is the case with any company with that kind of growth, there are growing pains. The key is that your daughter is with the right coach, regardless of the organization.

Feb 28, 2022
I wish everyone the best of luck. JL has expanded that organization explosively over the last two year. As is the case with any company with that kind of growth, there are growing pains. The key is that your daughter is with the right coach, regardless of the organization.
That is exactly our feeling as well. Our DD decided to leave her team about mid season this year. LONG story (I posed about it back in Jan). It was a great decision but we also want to make sure that moving forward she finds a home she is happy on. She guest played for 4 different teams after leaving her main team and had a variety of experiences all that helped her to grow as a player and to help her know what she wants in a team and coach.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Dont walk on the cement from the car to the field back and forth every time. See players walking around in between games still wearing their cleats on the cement. If you want them to last longer wear them when you're supposed to and not when you're not.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Dont walk on the cement from the car to the field back and forth every time. See players walking around in between games still wearing their cleats on the cement. If you want them to last longer wear them when you're supposed to and not when you're not.
I kind of noticed the 14u girls wore their cleats on concrete because they like how cool the sound is they're making...announcing to everyone they're now old enough to have metal cleats. By the time 18u rolls around, the girls wore crocs or flip flops to and from the field with a cleat hanging on each bat handle in their bag.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I kind of noticed the 14u girls wore their cleats on concrete because they like how cool the sound is they're making...announcing to everyone they're now old enough to have metal cleats. By the time 18u rolls around, the girls wore crocs or flip flops to and from the field with a cleat hanging on each bat handle in their bag.
Yes!!! Give the feet a rest!

May 29, 2015
Got it, so are you saying typically the only time she won't be allowed to wear metal cleats is when it's on a turf field? So she'll need to pick turn cleats or molded plastic for those tournaments.

Thanks for the help!

If your daughter is going to play school ball, you may want to verify you state association's stance on metal cleats. In Illinois, IESA (middle school) does NOT allow them, regardless of the age of the athlete. Once they go to high school, IHSA (high school) does allow them.

Feb 28, 2022
If your daughter is going to play school ball, you may want to verify you state association's stance on metal cleats. In Illinois, IESA (middle school) does NOT allow them, regardless of the age of the athlete. Once they go to high school, IHSA (high school) does allow them.
Thanks for the heads up. I did do a quick search and it looks like NY allows all school softball players to wear metal cleats.

May 29, 2015
Quick update ... as of this year, IESA is allowing middle school softball players to wear metal cleats!

Well ... at least I think they did. It is no longer listed on the rules differences between IESA and IHSA. This is from their committee meeting minutes ... and it is confusing:

The Board also approved a recommendation to allow for metal cleats in regular and post-season contests.
POINTS OF EMPHASIS
1. Metal cleats are not allowed for regular season or state series play.
2. On-deck circle- The on-deck batter may use either on-deck circle. The on-deck batter may only move to the on-deck circle during a dead ball. The on-deck batter must remain in the on-deck circle unless the batter switches hitting positions at which time the umpire would have the discretion to allow the on-deck batter to change circles.

I ... uhh ... huh?

From the full Board Meeting Minutes:
Softball- The Softball Advisory Committee met on October 21, 2021 via Zoom. Motion by Isenhower/McAlister to approve recommendation #1 (change the five team personnel categories to the general heading of team personnel) and the administrative recommendation #2 (allow metal cleats). Carried.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802