the cleat problem

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I have always wanted to try ringors, but my problem is their weight. From looking at the specs on the website and talking to teammates, it seems that they are heavy. I don't want anything weighing me down, I need all the help I can get with running. I've always been intrigued by the Mizunos because they are a well respected brand and I know are lighter.

With metal cleats, is it possible that one could twist their ankle or knee because the cleats stuck in the ground? Like fielding a backhand and then throwing on the run. What if the cleat stuck and then you kept going and next thing you know you've sprained your ankle or messed up your ACL. I really hope that wouldn't be true. And I mean my molded cleats give me fine traction so...

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
I have always wanted to try ringors, but my problem is their weight. From looking at the specs on the website and talking to teammates, it seems that they are heavy. I don't want anything weighing me down, I need all the help I can get with running. I've always been intrigued by the Mizunos because they are a well respected brand and I know are lighter.

With metal cleats, is it possible that one could twist their ankle or knee because the cleats stuck in the ground? Like fielding a backhand and then throwing on the run. What if the cleat stuck and then you kept going and next thing you know you've sprained your ankle or messed up your ACL. I really hope that wouldn't be true. And I mean my molded cleats give me fine traction so...

Molded cleats are usually the lightest available. Nothing wrong with using them, if that's what you like. Metal does give better footing so there is always a chance of turning an ankle, but most injuries I have seen with them come from cleating yourself in the ankle, tripping because they got caught in your shoe laces, or sliding on concrete. ;) But seriously, which is more likely to cause injury, dependable, secure footing?... or a foot slipping out from under you when you try to plant it? There are pluses and minuses to both, so I think it's mainly a matter of preferance.

My DD has always liked the Mizuno Whatleys (molded) because of their light weight and comfort, but she got a pair of Mizuno metal cleats for this coming year so I guess we shall see.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
DD's a 16yo pitcher and lover her Ringors. She like the original "heavy" Ringors just because she is strong as an ox and she's used to them. They make models a lot lighter than they used to be.

She was concerned at first that they would get caught on the rubber or grab too much at plant but after wearing them on the dirt for 1 day she liked the traction and didn't feel as if they were going to get caught any more than the molded cleats.

Since wearing Ringors she has never worn the pitching toe (and she used to be an excavator!). The cleat on both molded and metal just inside of her big toe on the drag foot is the first thing to wear to a nub. She had 1 pair that had some stitches fail; we sent pictures to Ringor who gave us $20 off our next order. They made an error and sent 2 pairs in the order, when we called them about it they honored the discount for both pairs so we kept them.

The only problem we have ever had with them was trying to order a size 12 womens with the toe in mid-february last year and they were out. We were told that they wouldn'tbe available until April. We were pretty upset! It all turned out well though because that same day I got an email offering a custom made pair in the same style for the same price of the regular pair. We now keep 1 new pair of cleats at all times.

Sorry for the ramble but there is no other manufacturer of softball equipment that I trust more than Ringor and NO< I DON'T WORK FOR THEM NOR DO I GET COMPENSATED IN ANY WAY.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
FWIW...My oldest daughter (14yo pitcher) likes the 3N2. This cleat "toe" really held up with the pitching, no wear to speak of. HOWEVER, I was dissapointed with how long the "cleats" held up...they seemed to wear down much quicler than I expected. But my DD likes 'em so we'll stick with 'em.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
Do any of you guys know a good place to try on cleats? I really need to try them on before buying (but if I need to I can just buy online and return them but still) and my local Sports Authority only has the most popular and usually the cheapest (only Mizuno Finch not their other models for example).

Oct 10, 2011
Got the Ringors today and they look great. DD hasn't tried them on yet but they said we could return them if they don't fit.

Nov 29, 2009
Good thread, my DD is currently looking for cleats for HS season.
How do the pitchers out there like Ringgor Metal cleats? DD is skeptical of metal,
she thinks they might get caught on the rubber

My DD loved moving from molded to metal cleats when she went to college. Played in them the first time and never went back. She was playing in SP adult league the last few years and commented the molded spikes felt slippery.

Your DD will not get stuck with the metal cleats. The only way she'll get caught on the rubber is if her mechanics break down.

My daughters have had great success with Ringors (catcher, Centerfielder and a second base/OF) because of their comfort and durability. Very durable shoes, lots of color options, good customer support.
I know people are asking about ladies wearing the men's models. The main reason for this is the width. Men's mediums are a D width. Women' mediums are a B width. So a gal with a wider foot can fit more comfortably in that men's model.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32