Catchers Cleats - spikes wearing down

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
I see a new shoe marketing campaign on the horizon; convincing catchers they need a tough pair of cleats for catching duty, and changing into lightweight hitting cleats for their next at bat for speed on the bases. Like they don't already have enough gear to deal with.

Feb 28, 2022
I see a new shoe marketing campaign on the horizon; convincing catchers they need a tough pair of cleats for catching duty, and changing into lightweight hitting cleats for their next at bat for speed on the bases. Like they don't already have enough gear to deal with.

LOL, this thought ran through my head but I could not see how that would even work. It's hard enough if she's on base and has to run in and get changed into her gear. Now we need to add a shoe change into the equation. The few ounces of weight aren't going to bother her right now is my opinion.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
LOL, this thought ran through my head but I could not see how that would even work. It's hard enough if she's on base and has to run in and get changed into her gear. Now we need to add a shoe change into the equation. The few ounces of weight aren't going to bother her right now is my opinion.
Right. I don't honestly see it happening. I guess the AC would be getting in extra warm-up catching duty between innings while the catcher's tying her shoes.
Or the catcher would stand there with arms out like Yul Brenner in The Ten Commandments while all her servants strap the gear on her.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Metal cleats opinion:
Do not buy Ringors as your first metal cleats--Notoriously heavier and bulkier than others on the market--I don't think I've seen too many catchers wearing these. Most players I've seen wear these are pitchers.
Mizuno--Not very comfortable long term--decently priced--good entry level shoe.
New Balance-DD liked these the best for comfort-a little more expensive but worth it.
Under Armor--college team has to wear them. DD's feet get tired and sore. During a double header, the only time she sits down is between games, but not for very long. Nature break and gotta talk to mom and dad.

Kids 14U and above: they very rarely wear molded cleats unless they are playing JV some turf facilities(esp pitchers) or they are not serious players. Even when they play on turf, DD wears metal cleats.

@softgabby Why would you buy extra cleats if your team requires you to wear Mizuno? Certainly, they provide them every year.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD is 17, and C has been her primary position since she was 9. She has been playing year-round TB since she was 10, plus school ball. The reality for for my DD is that cleats don't last. My DD grinds the spike (metal) under the ball of her foot all the way off at least once per year (I'm guessing it's about every 9-10 months). She has used mostly NB and Nike cleats, and they've all been about the same since she started wearing metals in 14U. She doesn't care for Ringors. We got her some molded cleats for a specific HS event on a turf field, and she said they were more comfortable, so she wore them all the time. They lasted a couple of months.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
@softgabby Why would you buy extra cleats if your team requires you to wear Mizuno? Certainly, they provide them every year.

My school is no longer requiring us to wear/use Mizuno products. I'm still using my other Mizuno products like my Power Carbon 33/24 (was just replaced this past season), mitts, batters gloves, and sweat bands.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
My school is no longer requiring us to wear/use Mizuno products. I'm still using my other Mizuno products like my Power Carbon 33/24 (was just replaced this past season), mitts, batters gloves, and sweat bands.

Sent from my SM-S127DL using Tapatalk
Really?...your D3 school required you to use Mizuno gloves, shoes, batting gloves and bats? Sounds highly unusual.

Feb 28, 2022
Hey all thanks for ALL the input. It is greatly appreciated!!!

My DD loved the molded NB cleats but wore them down to a nub almost instantly. I think we'll switch her to the metal NB cleats and give it a whirl. Now the toughest decision, what color to buy!! :)

(Tryouts start this week so we'll see where she ends up, that may dictate the color.🤞 for Lady Dukes....)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Hey all thanks for ALL the input. It is greatly appreciated!!!

My DD loved the molded NB cleats but wore them down to a nub almost instantly. I think we'll switch her to the metal NB cleats and give it a whirl. Now the toughest decision, what color to buy!! :)

(Tryouts start this week so we'll see where she ends up, that may dictate the color.🤞 for Lady Dukes....)
The LD have their own Wilson Team Store website when you become an official team member. I'm not sure if they have shoes, though. You get good discounts on all Wilson products, but the bad news is you're stuck with an organization that sells you on the Duke connection with JL but gives you very little.

Feb 28, 2022
The LD have their own Wilson Team Store website when you become an official team member. I'm not sure if they have shoes, though. You get good discounts on all Wilson products, but the bad news is you're stuck with an organization that sells you on the Duke connection with JL but gives you very little.
I can certainly understand the criticism. Honestly we don't care so much about the LD label and really just want our DD to be with one of the coaches who is heading to that org.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood