Molded cleats or turf cleats ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2019
I don’t know if I am on the right section if not feel free to move, anyways my youngest DD recently started playing 6yr old playing coach pitch, lately I’ve been noticing she runs slower with molded cleats and complains about her feet hurting, couple of weeks bac we forgot her cleats and she used regular tennis shoes, she was running a lot faster and never complain, now I am thinking on having her wear turf cleats, what’s y’all’s recommendation or best molded cleats or turf for players that young ? (She has been playing for maybe a year straight already). I know o started my oldest one with molded cleats in her second year of 8u… thanks

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I don’t know if I am on the right section if not feel free to move, anyways my youngest DD recently started playing 6yr old playing coach pitch, lately I’ve been noticing she runs slower with molded cleats and complains about her feet hurting, couple of weeks bac we forgot her cleats and she used regular tennis shoes, she was running a lot faster and never complain, now I am thinking on having her wear turf cleats, what’s y’all’s recommendation or best molded cleats or turf for players that young ? (She has been playing for maybe a year straight already). I know o started my oldest one with molded cleats in her second year of 8u… thanks

My DD started rec at 8yo and played in tennis shoes. She was fine. Coincidentally she also tried out for her first “travel” team in tennis shoes. It wasn’t until she made the team that we bought molded cleats.

Tough part is that the cleats for that young age are often stiff and cheaply made (hence the lower cost). The insoles are thin and not supportive.

If she prefers the tennis shoe or turf shoe, do it. Whatever keeps her wanting to play.

Jun 8, 2016
Turf shoes? DD wears them when she plays on turf (indoors or outdoors) but I am not sure it would make
a huge difference (and if it did not sure that matters anyway) over just regular tennis shoes at that age in order
to warrant the extra 50-70 bucks you would spend.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
I say go with what is most comfortable.. Sounds like turf shoes. There will be a negligible difference in traction, especially at the young ages when they are light!

Jun 24, 2019
Thanks for all the inputs, soccer shoes crosses my mind but never gave it a shot maybe I’ll have her try some, the thing is at this young age their foot 🦶 grows every other week lol

Feb 14, 2019
Most of the time turfs will work, even on dirt fields, and especially at such a young age as your DD. But there will be situations where turfs just won't give enough traction. DD had an issue for a while in 10U which caused her feet to hurt really bad after a long practice or a game or two in cleats. She'd spend a few weeks playing exclusively in turfs (we already had a pair we bought for pitching lessons) and her feet would feel better. She'd go back to wearing cleats and after a tournament weekend the foot pain would be back. Long story short, a daily stretching routine coupled with finding the right molded cleats for her body solved the problem.

You'll just have to figure out what cleats work best for your particular child. We went through several brands/styles of molded cleats (New Balance, Nike, Mizuno, etc.) before settling on the UA Glydes for my DD.

Jul 19, 2021
These will make any pair of shoes instantly more comfortable.

Apr 20, 2015
Cleats can be uncomfortable for young children because their tiny weight doesn’t allow them to drive their cleats into the ground properly and put their foot in a very uncomfortable position. Insoles or a heel cup can really help with properly positioning the foot. I recommend tulles brand heel cups to all my young cleats wearing patients with foot pain and used them with both my kids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles