The backswing..

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2019
How important is it to have a backswing on your pitch? My DD had one when she first started, but she felt that she is better balanced without one. However, I'm wondering if that's taking away from velocity or spin? Has any of you experimented and tried doing it both ways while using a radar gun to confirm? I've read that everything before the stride is all just for style and comfort/timing, but logically, a backswing should provide some extra arm speed, just as a load would in hitting.

Also, does picking up the right toe (RHP) really have any benefit before the stride?

Apr 28, 2016
I think a lot of things are taught to help teach weight transfer and rhythm. My DD does a backswing (both arms)—we’ve tried to suggest some style changes to her, but she likes that routine.

Her pitching coach does NOT promote the toe raise though. She promotes toe down and butt tucked—it helps them remain tall and discourages sticking your butt out. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
How important is it to have a backswing on your pitch?
Depends on the pitcher. Most pitchers find it helpful. A few don't.

However, I'm wondering if that's taking away from velocity or spin?
It does not.

I've read that everything before the stride is all just for style and comfort/timing, but logically, a backswing should provide some extra arm speed, just as a load would in hitting.

Spinning the arm as fast as possible is not the goal.

Pitching is about transfer of momentum. The pitcher gets the entire body moving toward the catcher, and then stops the entire body except the arm. If the timing is correct, the entire body acts like a big slingshot.

The purpose of the motion up to 12 is to get the body into perfect position at 12.

Also, does picking up the right toe (RHP) really have any benefit before the stride?

I'm sorry, but you are getting into the weeds.

Unless you are a pitching coach, you need to be focusing on theoverall motion of your DD.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
We are working on the Hillhouse, no backswing. I do the drills with my DD. I personally like no backswing. My DD is converting from HE to IR. She does a backswing, but I’m hoping to convert her to no backswing, if she can adjust to it.

Sep 29, 2014
I'm pretty much in the this is "style" camp. There are good reasons in my opinion to do both but I think there are sooooo many more important things to be focused on this is simply not one of them whatever makes them most comfortable while still getting them into the proper positions during the pitch

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
I like a backswing for the things mentioned above as well as overlap. I like to see both arms come back no farther than 8ish unless they’re super flexible and can get them both back without it pulling them open. That’s the biggest issue with a big backswing with the ball arm only in my opinion. A lot of girls can’t get back driving square if they get open on the backswing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 21, 2008
We are working on the Hillhouse, no backswing. I do the drills with my DD. I personally like no backswing. My DD is converting from HE to IR. She does a backswing, but I’m hoping to convert her to no backswing, if she can adjust to it.

Holy crap... I have my own pitching motion? Can I try to patent it like Ohio State is trying to do the word "THE"? LOL.

Whether you choose a backswing or not, 2 important things to keep in mind: 1. if she backswings, don't let the arm LOCK. 99% that do will never unlock it. And #2: make sure the glove hand follows the ball backwards in the negative movement so you get BOTH arms shooting forward in the forward movement. Again, 99% that swing back stop the glove hand from helping them transfer weight forward and backward.

Bill

Aug 17, 2019
Holy crap... I have my own pitching motion? Can I try to patent it like Ohio State is trying to do the word "THE"? LOL.

Whether you choose a backswing or not, 2 important things to keep in mind: 1. if she backswings, don't let the arm LOCK. 99% that do will never unlock it. And #2: make sure the glove hand follows the ball backwards in the negative movement so you get BOTH arms shooting forward in the forward movement. Again, 99% that swing back stop the glove hand from helping them transfer weight forward and backward.

Bill
Should have said we are watching your videos and trying to do it similar to the style you use, in my comment. 😁. Very thankful for those videos, by the way!
DD has a locked elbow, thanks to HE style. So in our IR conversion we are trying the no backswing.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K