What's Your Mental Approach When Stepping Into the Box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I haven't posted in some time, but I just recently got pulled out of coaching retirement to go to AZ last weekend to help a friend coach his team. He had told me recently that one of his top hitters hasn't been hitting well for quite some time. After our first two games, I had taken note that she had gone 0-5. She's got a very nice swing with a couple of minor flaws, typical.

Anyway, during game three warm-ups I asked her what her mental approach was before she stepped into the batter's box. She said she's not trying to think about anything other than hitting the ball. *Yikes* So I asked her what pitches she would swing at. She said any pitch that she felt would be a strike. *Double Yikes* We then went on to discuss where her she likes the ball to be located in the zone for a solid hit. So she tells me exactly where she likes the ball. I explain that when she steps into the box, she's going to wait for that pitch until there's two strikes. If it's not where you want it, let it go. Even if that means it's a called strike. When there's two strikes, only then will you try to make contact with anything in the zone. I discussed that it's important to have a plan when stepping into the box and for right now, that's her plan.

For our last five games she hit .529 for a .429 tournament average. We talked after the tournament and she said that made it so much easier for her at the plate and that she was more relaxed knowing what she was going to swing at compared to trying to hit any pitch she thought was in the zone. I chatted with the head coach and discussed that all batters need to have a plan when in the box. And that plan shouldn't be to swing at strikes or to just make contact. Even struggling hitters have to have a mental approach at the plate to keep them focused. As they get out of their slump, then they need to advance their plan to include situational hitting. How many coaches spend hours on hand path, stride, scap load, you name it, and only a few minutes on the mental approach? Personally, I feel this should be discussed every hitting lesson. Just as we work on muscle memory, we've got to work on the mental memory, too.

Anyway, that's my story for now. I almost feel like I should help the club out in practice until it warms up enough for the fish to start biting again.

Cheers!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I admit that I don't spend enough time on exactly this, but I have started to more recently.

It's kind of funny asking them what they're thinking about when they go up to hit and they give you that blank stare. It just doesn't even occur to make of them that there's any mental approach at all other than deciding if the pitch is one to swing at or not.

Sep 21, 2017
PA
We talk a lot about....one foot in the box, one deep breath, one final thought. The thought cannot be about anything mechanical, it's time to compete.

As far as what they're looking for...look for what you're going to get. Know what the P throws, what is her early stuff, what is her out stuff? If what you want to hit doesn't come until 2 strikes, against anyone good, you're done...good luck. It's not about what you want, it's about what you're going to get. I guess I'm too much of a Steve Springer disciple...if you don't know Spring, you need to. He's incredible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coopdog