Tempe, AZ coach arrested

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I know people.....
tumblr_njcz48eQCA1td9bx9o1_400.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
When I rule the world, this kind of kid would be all over the national news as a hero and people would think a Kardashian was an alien race in Star Trek.

You have my vote. This is a more sensible platform than most of politicians currently running for elected office.

Also...
michelle-168.jpg

ian

Jun 11, 2015
This is why I have had the conversation with my former basketball team when I felt they were old enough to understand the basic concepts that if any coach, teacher, authority figure, adult, or anyone did anything that made them feel uncomfortable or reached out to them in an inappropriate way that they were to tell their parents immediately. That included me and any of my assistants.

I had one of my parents approach me a week or so later telling me that I was making their daughter uncomfortable because I tend to high five and hug my players a lot. I never said a word to the player about it to avoid making her more uncomfortable but I made sure to alter my behavior with her and encouraged her with words instead of contact. She ended up being one of the players that I was closest to by the end of the season, but I had to make sure that I didn't make her uncomfortable.

Parents are far too trusting of coaches and teachers unfortunately. We wouldn't dream of dropping our daughters off with strangers for a few hours at 12 years old but if they call themselves a coach we will leave them alone with them without thinking their is anything strange.

My English teacher/ varsity basketball coach was moved from another district to ours after complaints and wouldnt you know it 3 years later he was arrested for molesting one of the boys on our team. I thought the mandatory showers after every practice was a little strange but who could argue with good personal hygene. Another one of my teachers was impregnated by her 16 yearold foster child. She continued teaching for another 12 years and was rumored to have had a 'relationship' with a 15 yearold student. I heard her foster child commited suicide at age 30. The 15 yearold died of an opioid OD when he was about 23. My wife went to the same school had a teacher who would change into gym shorts behind his desk infront of the whole class. I grew up In a rual area It seemed like the teachers union shipped us all the crazies. We need to protect our boys too.

The only problem I had with coaches was one assistant coach on a 12u team my daughter was on singled out two girls for wearing tank tops to practice. I was also an assistant and was standing right there. The talk started out good 'wear appropriate clothing for practice' but he kept going and crossed the line. He said "you see those boys over there? You dont want to be running and have one of the 'sisters' pop out in front of them." I felt my blood starting to boil and finally yelled at him in front of the team " THEY GOT THE POINT, STOP!!!" He said "but I was just.." I interrupted "STOP!" That was the beggining of the end for me and my DD on that team.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
The only problem I had with coaches was one assistant coach on a 12u team my daughter was on singled out two girls for wearing tank tops to practice. I was also an assistant and was standing right there. The talk started out good 'wear appropriate clothing for practice' but he kept going and crossed the line. He said "you see those boys over there? You dont want to be running and have one of the 'sisters' pop out in front of them." I felt my blood starting to boil and finally yelled at him in front of the team " THEY GOT THE POINT, STOP!!!" He said "but I was just.." I interrupted "STOP!" That was the beggining of the end for me and my DD on that team.

Out of curiosity, would your reaction have been the same if the coach was female?

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Out of curiosity, would your reaction have been the same if the coach was female?

I cant say for sure. If the hypothetical female coach used the same body language and tone probably. If done In a less demeaning tone and If she took the two girls a side maybe I would have stepped away and let them have their 'sister' talk. Sexist? Maybe.

Maybe I over reacted. But I was the only other adult around, I saw the looks on the girls faces. I felt like I had to say something. I have no regrets.

Now you got me curious, what would you have done?

Two weeks ago my DD comes home from school and tells me the class has a new substitute teacher. Her regular teacher went on vacation. The sub writes a last name on the board and begins teaching the class. A little while later my DD had a question. "What do you want me to call you?" The teacher said Mr. soandso. I guess my DD was confused (she wasnt the only one) because the teacher looked and talked like a woman but dressed like a man. Her teacher had gender reassignment surgery and was now a regular dude married to a woman. All I asked DD was "was he a good teacher? What did you learn?"

What is and what aint sexist is becoming a blurred line for me. Im sure some folks have it all figured out.

Jun 12, 2015
I live in GA and we practice all year. In July, it's HOT. I don't see shorts and tanks as inappropriate attire for a sports activity.

Nov 29, 2009
^^^ this.
I set the team up in a group. If I have the child's number it is in there. ALL PARENTS are in there. All txt go to the group. If I'm Txt ed by a player with a question 80% of the time response goes out to the player and copied to the parent. It is important for coaches and parents to protect these kids and for coaches to protect themselves.

I do something similar with communications. I tell the parents right up front at the first team meeting that all communications with their daughters goes through them. I do this to protect myself and the coaches from anything that may be viewed as inappropriate. Sometimes it can result in late communications, but I'd rather have that then any misunderstandings. Because I'm a non-parent coach I tell the parents I won't give their daughter's rides to any team activities unless it is an absolute necessity and the parents set it up before hand. I then have the players call one of their parents before and after the ride. In all the years of coaching I've only had to give rides twice.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
You have my vote. This is a more sensible platform than most of politicians currently running for elected office.

Also...
michelle-168.jpg

In the early days of reality TV shows, when shows like Survivor and The Apprentice were brand new shows, I sometimes wondered what would happen if our presidential elections were run like reality TV shows.

Don't worry, that will NEVER happen.

The line is here. Do not cross it (as in be careful about religion and politics)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
In the early days of reality TV shows, when shows like Survivor and The Apprentice were brand new shows, I sometimes wondered what would happen if our presidential elections were run like reality TV shows.

Don't worry, that will NEVER happen.

The line is here. Do not cross it (as in be careful about religion and politics)

I don't think anyone will disagree that regardless of your politics, that the system is a total friggin gridlocked partisan mess with completely morally devoid people only interested in their own agendas in charge both in the white house and throughout Congress. If the best we can muster is Trump/Clinton/Cruz/Rubio and Sanders as our choices for president then something is clearly wrong with the system. I personally think that the right to vote should be earned. Do you really deserve to vote if you think the president is the one who writes laws or the Supreme Court is where high profile murder cases are tried?

You should have to pass a basic civics test to vote for president. A smaller, more discerning electorate would help put an end to the stupidity.

softball is awesome :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi