Small town ball, multiple sports all softball related

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 17, 2019
Ugh, Field Hockey and Lacrosse are killing softball around here. I think in our district in particular, softball is perceived as too....shall we say... blue-collar ... 🤑 😔

Nov 18, 2015
My oldest just started field hockey. I've been telling everyone that if I ever decide to become a ref, this is the sport I'll do. Since 95% of the parents don't know the rules, it's much safer walking to your car after the game. We just stand around asking other "what was that whistle for?".

But yes - we were warned during pre-season orientation - "there's going to be A LOT of whistles".

My comment for lacrosse - I've watched some 3rd and 4th grade practices - and even at the rec level - the girls seemed to be having a much easier time catching the ball with their sticks than I've seen most 3rd or 4th grade catch with their gloves. I would expect it would be easier to catch with something on the end of your hand than the end of a stick, but maybe there's less fear of getting drilled in the face by a ball when using a lax stick?

May 29, 2015
My oldest just started field hockey. I've been telling everyone that if I ever decide to become a ref, this is the sport I'll do. Since 95% of the parents don't know the rules, it's much safer walking to your car after the game. We just stand around asking other "what was that whistle for?".

But yes - we were warned during pre-season orientation - "there's going to be A LOT of whistles".

My comment for lacrosse - I've watched some 3rd and 4th grade practices - and even at the rec level - the girls seemed to be having a much easier time catching the ball with their sticks than I've seen most 3rd or 4th grade catch with their gloves. I would expect it would be easier to catch with something on the end of your hand than the end of a stick, but maybe there's less fear of getting drilled in the face by a ball when using a lax stick?

Funny ... that’s one of the pitches they are using to recruit lacrosse officials around here: the parents know that they don’t the rules so they stay quiet!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812