Tempe, AZ coach arrested

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
Unfortunately this happens more often than we hear. The coaching aspect is male dominated from 6U to college and these girls are very young and impressionable. Of course letting your high school daughter go to a clinic in short shorts and a tank top doesn't help either. Not saying this happened here, but saw it happen recently. Parents please please keep your finger on the pulse of your children's lives!

This is why I have had the conversation with my former basketball team when I felt they were old enough to understand the basic concepts that if any coach, teacher, authority figure, adult, or anyone did anything that made them feel uncomfortable or reached out to them in an inappropriate way that they were to tell their parents immediately. That included me and any of my assistants.

I had one of my parents approach me a week or so later telling me that I was making their daughter uncomfortable because I tend to high five and hug my players a lot. I never said a word to the player about it to avoid making her more uncomfortable but I made sure to alter my behavior with her and encouraged her with words instead of contact. She ended up being one of the players that I was closest to by the end of the season, but I had to make sure that I didn't make her uncomfortable.

Parents are far too trusting of coaches and teachers unfortunately. We wouldn't dream of dropping our daughters off with strangers for a few hours at 12 years old but if they call themselves a coach we will leave them alone with them without thinking their is anything strange.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' people, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.
You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy?
I ain't through with you by a dang sight. I'ma get medieval on your a**.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' people, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.
You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy?
I ain't through with you by a dang sight. I'ma get medieval on your a**.

"I meant what now between me and you...."
"Oh...that what now"

May 13, 2012
For example, DD 3 is never alone with a coach, and never directly texts a coach or visa versa. Either the communication goes through me or the coach's DD or both. That is for both male and female coaches.

^^^ this.
I set the team up in a group. If I have the child's number it is in there. ALL PARENTS are in there. All txt go to the group. If I'm Txt ed by a player with a question 80% of the time response goes out to the player and copied to the parent. It is important for coaches and parents to protect these kids and for coaches to protect themselves.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Good job sis. The kid probably hates her sister right now, but someday will understand how even though she initiated the flirting, that she is still the victim. Predators are subtle, she was probably identified by this guy as a vulnerable target and groomed in subtle ways for some time. I am keying on the fact that the sister called the police, leads me to think that dad was not around and maybe mom was not in a position to take charge. Older siblings find themselves in junior parenting roles a lot in single family homes and in homes where the parents are immigrants and do not speak English very well. When I rule the world, this kind of kid would be all over the national news as a hero and people would think a Kardashian was an alien race in Star Trek.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi