Small town ball, multiple sports all softball related

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
I feel for all of you and your DDs and DSs and believe all of these stories are true.
My DD is a Junior in HS so I hear some horror stories from her travel teamates parents.
I will say that I have also seen situations at our HS where parents will use politics as an excuse as to why their DD doesn't play or isn't a starter.
When DD was in 7th grade I started to keep an eye on our HS softball team and noticed that the coach (20 years at the school) only used 1 pitcher. That's right just one all season. I knew the roster and saw that he had 3-4 capable pitchers but he only used one. I had a conversation with DD that summer and shared that if she wasn't clearly, beyond any doubt, the number 1 she needed to know that she would most likely not play.
She didn't take that well and began to train like a warrior with the goal of beating out a senior who sat for 3 years waiting for the last pitcher to graduate.
DD made every open gym and fall workout. She put in the time at the gym and worked her tail off to beat out that senior and the 3 other girls for that #1 spot. She made first team all conference as a freshman and made first team all state as a sophomore leading the state in strikeouts and whip and finished the season with a 22-3 record.
During last season I overheard the #2 pitchers mother complaining to a parent that its political as to why her kid doesn't pitch. It doesn't bother me but I often think that parents use that as an excuse and worst yet tell their kids that it's not their fault. All that does is strip the kid of the very gift of learning how to overcome adversity. Last year DD wanted to be on our travel orgs Gold team. She asked to tryout, I told her no. She wasn't happy, but in my opinion wasn't ready to contribute in a meaningful way to that team. I knew that, and saw her flaws and what she needed to do to be good enough to contribute. Back to work and this summer she was ready, tried out and made the team. We just finished the fall season where she contributed at a very high level after committing to her dream school (D1). A school that 2 years ago as an incoming freshman I would have said she had zero shot of making.
This past HS season her team was 17-0 heading into a game with their arch rivals. DD wanted a little time off of training that week as it was her 16th birthday.. she took those days off and pitched against that rival on her 16th birthday and failed.. her team lost 3-1. I saw it coming a week earlier but sometimes you have to let them fail so they can learn.
Please do not rob your child of the opportunity to "go through the desert".

Jun 8, 2016
I feel for all of you and your DDs and DSs and believe all of these stories are true.
My DD is a Junior in HS so I hear some horror stories from her travel teamates parents.
I will say that I have also seen situations at our HS where parents will use politics as an excuse as to why their DD doesn't play or isn't a starter.
When DD was in 7th grade I started to keep an eye on our HS softball team and noticed that the coach (20 years at the school) only used 1 pitcher. That's right just one all season. I knew the roster and saw that he had 3-4 capable pitchers but he only used one. I had a conversation with DD that summer and shared that if she wasn't clearly, beyond any doubt, the number 1 she needed to know that she would most likely not play.
She didn't take that well and began to train like a warrior with the goal of beating out a senior who sat for 3 years waiting for the last pitcher to graduate.
DD made every open gym and fall workout. She put in the time at the gym and worked her tail off to beat out that senior and the 3 other girls for that #1 spot. She made first team all conference as a freshman and made first team all state as a sophomore leading the state in strikeouts and whip and finished the season with a 22-3 record.
During last season I overheard the #2 pitchers mother complaining to a parent that its political as to why her kid doesn't pitch. It doesn't bother me but I often think that parents use that as an excuse and worst yet tell their kids that it's not their fault. All that does is strip the kid of the very gift of learning how to overcome adversity. Last year DD wanted to be on our travel orgs Gold team. She asked to tryout, I told her no. She wasn't happy, but in my opinion wasn't ready to contribute in a meaningful way to that team. I knew that, and saw her flaws and what she needed to do to be good enough to contribute. Back to work and this summer she was ready, tried out and made the team. We just finished the fall season where she contributed at a very high level after committing to her dream school (D1). A school that 2 years ago as an incoming freshman I would have said she had zero shot of making.
This past HS season her team was 17-0 heading into a game with their arch rivals. DD wanted a little time off of training that week as it was her 16th birthday.. she took those days off and pitched against that rival on her 16th birthday and failed.. her team lost 3-1. I saw it coming a week earlier but sometimes you have to let them fail so they can learn.
Please do not rob your child of the opportunity to "go through the desert".

;)

Apr 28, 2014

;)
Watching your kid fail over and over is hardly a shamless brag.
I just feel bad for the kids who are never given the chance to fail

Jun 8, 2016
Watching your kid fail over and over is hardly a shamless brag.
I just feel bad for the kids who are never given the chance to fail
From the content of your post it looks like your kid overcame any obstacle put in her way which is great and you should be proud
of that and deserve to brag about it.

Apr 28, 2014
From the content of your post it looks like your kid overcame any obstacle put in her way which is great and you should be proud
of that and deserve to brag about it.
Thanks
My intent was not to brag. Sorry if it came off that way.
I do feel bad for many of these kids who don't get a chance to play HS sports at the level that they feel they should. My hope is that parents use that as an opportunity to teach lessons about overcoming adversity.
My limited experience has been that some parents in our area use excuses and I truly hope that they aren't telling their children the same.

May 6, 2015
Thanks
My intent was not to brag. Sorry if it came off that way.
I do feel bad for many of these kids who don't get a chance to play HS sports at the level that they feel they should. My hope is that parents use that as an opportunity to teach lessons about overcoming adversity.
My limited experience has been that some parents in our area use excuses and I truly hope that they aren't telling their children the same.

but sometimes no matter what your child does, it will not make a difference, so they also need to learn when to simply move on. DD1 is a GK for FH, last fall, DDs freshman season, there is only one other GK, a sophomore. I told her all along, coach will probably split you two at least early in season, just work hard, etc. End of season, after being required to dress fully (ie in all her gear except helmet, very hot) for every varsity game as well as playing every freshman and JV game, and having to walk out the sophomore GK's water bottle to her at halftime and on any break, she saw 5 minutes in one scrimmage. This fall, she decided it was not worth it, will concentrate on training and her club (equivalent of travel team for FH) team. We told her it was her decision, and recruiting coach told her for recruiting purposes, HS did not matter whatsoever, no college coach is watching a HS game, they merely do camps and recruiting tournaments. When she went to fall sports signups last spring and informed coach, coach blew up at her, had her in tears, screaming at her that she is letting team down, what are they going to do etc.. Last season she didnt even look at DD. Think she realized too late that she really would be an asset, and wants to take credit for getting another one of her girls into a D1 school (even though HS has nothing to do with it). Reap what you sow.

Jun 8, 2016
Ill be honest I had to google that to learn it was goal keeper for field hockey.... we dont have that sport around here lol
It is big up in MA..I went to watch a girl I knew play in College and I have never seen so many penalties called in a sport in my life.. :LOL:

May 6, 2015
It is big up in MA..I went to watch a girl I knew play in College and I have never seen so many penalties called in a sport in my life.. :LOL:
at the younger ages we called it whistle ball. it gets better as they get older. luckily as a GK there is not a whole lot for her to worry about rules wise, other than covering the ball, or kicking high into someone.

Jun 8, 2016
at the younger ages we called it whistle ball. it gets better as they get older. luckily as a GK there is not a whole lot for her to worry about rules wise, other than covering the ball, or kicking high into someone.
Well I watched a college game so I cannot imagine how it is at the younger ages ... ;) They had it at my HS but I never watched. A kid I graduated with in HS went and played at Michigan State I think.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee