Why Play Softball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Can't wait for @pattar's answer... :ROFLMAO:
My DD enjoys playing. The fact that my narcissism (or whatever mental illness that I have) causes me to not enjoy watching her is irrelevant and easily remedied by just not going to her games...nobody misses me there (especially DW when I end up watching the 4 year old).

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022
Ken B,

I love this post as it aligns with the reasons my family continue to do the sport. We are blessed we have the money, time and most important kids enjoy the sport…

Not sure how many more hours they will continue, but for now my husband and I enjoy the ride!!

Is there an easy way to save favorites? I’ve been liking posts and clicking the check mark at the top right, but I am still having to search for favorite posts by scrolling through all postings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD annoyed me the previous game for lack of effort. I told DD it is fine if she did not play SB But she could not be sitting in her room all day she would need to find something else that she enjoyed outside the house.

Next game She was playing RF. She backed up 1st, next thing I know she is backing up the CF backing up 2nd. Then she was in LF backing up 3rd and threw a runner out at home. She made her point she wanted to play SB.

She has, appears, made many lifelong friends through her terbilimate journy.

I would quess it would be the same of other sports, she just liked SB.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
DD annoyed me the previous game for lack of effort. I told DD it is fine if she did not play SB But she could not be sitting in her room all day she would need to find something else that she enjoyed outside the house.
✔️ setting a standard!

Next game She was playing RF. She backed up 1st, next thing I know she is backing up the CF backing up 2nd. Then she was in LF backing up 3rd and threw a runner out at home. She made her point she wanted to play SB.

She has, appears, made many lifelong friends through her terbilimate journy.

I would quess it would be the same of other sports, she just liked SB.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
My DD has never told me that softball was fun. A few different times I have questioned her love for the sport. We started at 8u and she is now pitching in college as a freshman (Big10).

What I can tell you is that she is committed to the sport, I’m not sure that love is the right word, but part of her for sure. It’s the competition, it’s me vs you and I am here to win (she’s a pitcher). The first time she pitched against CA MT, she was not 100% after all of the innings before and she told me in the car on the way home, “If I was 100% I can get them”. That’s when I knew.

It’s not just fun or the love for the game, it’s more than that. It’s the competition, the comraderie, the sense of belonging, the feeling and confidence of being great at something, the feel of being part of something greater. The feeling of accomplishment. The chase, the unknown, the internal challenge, the mental fortitude.

The lesson of working hard to fulfill your goals is possibly the greatest thing that could happen to a kid growing up.

Long live team sports, long live softball.

Same here, I never hear my girl say she LOVES the sport...But hot damn she dials in at practices and will subtley say it's her favorite. It's the competition and I also think softball and baseball even though a team sport, you can really just focus on handling your self and doing your job by yourself versus all other team sports. The individual challenge.

Feb 7, 2014
The morals and lessons are significant in the original post, but if I were in either of my DDs cleats I would definitely see a bright future in softball. I understand the underlying sentiment of the post, but it also sells softball short. We all know that college coach and instructor making a living doing what they enjoy.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Ken B,

I love this post as it aligns with the reasons my family continue to do the sport. We are blessed we have the money, time and most important kids enjoy the sport…

Not sure how many more hours they will continue, but for now my husband and I enjoy the ride!!

Is there an easy way to save favorites? I’ve been liking posts and clicking the check mark at the top right, but I am still having to search for favorite posts by scrolling through all postings.

For a while, I kept a Word doc going with cut/pasted of the URL’s for my favorite posts. Worked well for me.

Nov 15, 2019

At the top of each post is a bookmark. Click it to save it. Then to acceess your bookmarks (on an Android phone, not sure if it's the same on iOS) at the top of the page is a circle with the first letter of your screen name on it. Click on that and at the top there is a link for all the bookmarks you've saved. You also have the option of labeling each bookmark into a category to make certain topics even easier to find.

Jun 4, 2019
I coach and my daughter plays because there aren’t many things a guy and his daughter can bond over. For me it’s something I will look back on and smile about when I’m old and dying. Hopefully she does as well.

With that being said, the excessive travel and significant costs are something that I would urge everyone to really consider if there is value in that. Like the original poster said there is no payday and even if you play in college, if you aren’t a pitcher or catcher, good chance you’re playing on your own dime. If you have money and can afford the costs, then more power to you. I treat these weekends as my vacations (even if I anm coaching 3rd all weekend and not relaxing on a beach). otherwise I couldn’t justify it.

I one of the rare dads out there that don’t even want my daughter playing in college. I coach HS and I’ve seen too many girls over the past 8 years go on and have disappointing college experiences. Very tough to see good kids go through that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802