Tell me a lil about this swing, please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
It looks to me like she drops the back elbow, flattens the bat, and swings around it. Although it looked like a solid hit. I've been watching video of a bunch of our 10U girls and I'm seeing bat drag everywhere so maybe it's my eyes. There are many more knowledgeable people on here than me so hopefully they chime in.
If you go by the strict definition that the elbow gets in front of the hands then yes I think almost every 10U girl I have seen has it. I wonder if it’s a strength thing or even a flexibility thing. I don’t have bat drag because I’m not flexible enough to even get my elbow in front of my hands haha.

Jan 14, 2020
she’s a big 10 ! 10u is great. Miss those days.
The camera adds 6" and 25 lbs, she's the smallest on her team, she weighs 75 with 10 lb shoes and has a hard time riding the cool kid rides at the fair. Its a pretty enjoyable age, minus the "i know's"... lol

Oct 26, 2019
I can’t stress this enough and it should probably be it’s own thread I am that passionate about it.

Don’t get so caught up in mechanics that you coach the intent to hit it hard out of her swing. I have seen so many kids, I call them “camp kids”, whose swings look pretty good and you can tell they have had a lot of coaching and they can’t drive the ball and they can’t hit in games because their intent to do damage is gone.

“There once was a .400 hitter named Krance, who had the most unusual stance. With the coaches correction, his stance was perfection, but he couldn’t hit the seat of his pants.”

Jan 14, 2020
If you go by the strict definition that the elbow gets in front of the hands then yes I think almost every 10U girl I have seen has it. I wonder if it’s a strength thing or even a flexibility thing. I don’t have bat drag because I’m not flexible enough to even get my elbow in front of my hands haha.
I'm with you @Towny9, a lot of younger girls struggle with upper strength. In my DD case, it definitely is and also the fact that I have preached one palm up, one palm down at contact and be level through the zone w no rolling.

Jan 14, 2020
I can’t stress this enough and it should probably be it’s own thread I am that passionate about it.

Don’t get so caught up in mechanics that you coach the intent to hit it hard out of her swing. I have seen so many kids, I call them “camp kids”, whose swings look pretty good and you can tell they have had a lot of coaching and they can’t drive the ball and they can’t hit in games because their intent to do damage is gone.

“There once was a .400 hitter named Krance, who had the most unusual stance. With the coaches correction, his stance was perfection, but he couldn’t hit the seat of his pants.”
Couldn't agree more, had a few of the greatest practice player ever in college. looked great off the bus, but couldn't hit a bull in the butt with a scoop shovel in a game.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hold on a second, the height of the back elbow isn’t the absolute. The forearm being level to the ground is almost an absolute. Babe Ruth has the back forearm level with the ground with lower hands and elbow. Mantle is very close and I have swings of him closer to the absolute. We are talking about the launch position, which is close to toe touch.

giphy.gif

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Not flat. Just like the Babe.

View attachment 20626

I can post many more.. the elbow getting ‘up’ is a cue to get the posterior oblique sling stretched tighter(not a very good cue).. Staying closed is the same thing. video has proven that the elbow is nothing when loading but means something when swinging.

He is slightly different, which is okay. He is close.

Oct 2, 2017
I have enjoy reading and seeing the progress she has made. I've made mistakes before thinking since they understand one thing during a practice, then jumping into something else is the same practice instead of calling it a day. It's extremely humbling and makes you reevaluate your coaching quick.
Thanks. 100%. On the humbling thing. This will be a new season, apply what I have learned.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Talk to me about them. Like shes blocking?

In her current swing she has bat drag, the hands are just waiting for something to happen. The hands are waiting for the body, and the body does work but doesn’t transfer transfer into the hands soon enough.

Second word, TTB.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying