Teaching Hitting and the HIP COIL

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2008
I turned on ESPN as SL suggested and recorded one of the players taught by Howard. I compared her swing to Bustos. IMO the two swings are very different. As it relates to this thread, Bustos has a really nice hip coil that is performed during her stride and maintained into toe touch. During the transition, Bustos uses her butt muscles while maintaining pressure against the ground with her back foot. The result is a very nice weight shift. I didn't see any of these actions in the other player. The difference shows up most noticeably in their weight shifts. The difference between Bustos' weight shift and the other player's weight shift is striking. There is a clip floating around on here of my DD demonstrating the hip coil. IMO my DD's hip action in that clip is a better match to Bustos' hip action than the hip action of the player I recorded.

Yup I will agree with you that britts weight shift sucked at the end of the season. Her coach has constantly tried to take it out of her swing all season long by the hitting drills they are forced to use. So it has been a struggle from Day 1 in college to maintain it.

Tim

Oct 14, 2008
Not semantics at all. What we see in the Bond's photo is a solid orientation for a swing to pass through. An attempt to instead have a near perfect vertical forearm in that position hurts the swing in multiple ways. It's not a minor thing.

We can agree to disagree on it , It makes no matter to me.

May 13, 2008
Not semantics at all. What we see in the Bond's photo is a solid orientation for a swing to pass through. An attempt to instead have a near perfect vertical forearm in that position hurts the swing in multiple ways. It's not a minor thing.

Yet another example of FFS trying to say that HC espouses a vertical forearm when he doesn't. A classic example of a straw man argument.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yet another example of FFS trying to say that HC espouses a vertical forearm when he doesn't. A classic example of a straw man argument.

Cshilt, if Howard has corrected that teaching, then that is a good thing. If the message could get through to SL, then that would be a good thing as well.

May 13, 2008
Cshilt, if Howard has corrected that teaching, then that is a good thing. If the message could get through to SL, then that would be a good thing as well.

There was never a correction to make, but pat yourself on your back if that makes you feel better.

And please show me where SL says the forearm should be perfectly vertical as well. Don't show me a picture of a drill that you have taken out of context.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
OK lets put this to rest Doc's response. I cut and pasted it for you.

I do not see the V from the side however I do see it from behind and from the side I see it stacked.

This is correct.

You should see a tight “V” from behind---meaning don’t reach back and extend at the back elbow.

I tend to utilize simplistic but correct “biomechanical” descriptions---i.e.—“lift and slot the elbow without extending it.”

And yes—generally speaking the forearm will hide the bicep from the side in a good move—meaning you will NOT see a “V” from the side..

(disclaimer: the elbow can lead the hands as long as the top hand does not go palm up as elbow slots----meaning barrel stays stacked over hands---“lankier” players like Will Clark and Griffey Jr. displayed this characteristic

Instead of saying this is what someone said, I like to hear it from the source!

Jul 21, 2008
The reality of the situation is that there is very little disagreement over WHAT constitutes a poor swing, a good swing, and a great swing. The Model swing thread identifies the common elements. Once those elements are identified, the Holy Grail that people like myself w/ a DD are really seeking is HOW to teach and achieve that high level swing. IMO, Howard separated himself from the many knowledgeable contributors who frequent this site through his ability and willingness to not only explain, but SHOW HOW he taught hitters while using simple terms and cues that the average crazy daddy could comprehend. The more ways that I know how to teach something increases the chances that one of those methods will be effective and strike paydirt w/ the hitter I'm trying to help.

Well said....can tell you how many times I have work with a hitter and used a que that works great and then trying to use that same que with different hitter and it's like I talking greek. The more ways I have to get the message across the better teacher I will be.

Jul 11, 2009
OK lets put this to rest Doc's response. I cut and pasted it for you.

I do not see the V from the side however I do see it from behind and from the side I see it stacked.

This is correct.

You should see a tight “V” from behind---meaning don’t reach back and extend at the back elbow.

I tend to utilize simplistic but correct “biomechanical” descriptions---i.e.—“lift and slot the elbow without extending it.”

And yes—generally speaking the forearm will hide the bicep from the side in a good move—meaning you will NOT see a “V” from the side..

(disclaimer: the elbow can lead the hands as long as the top hand does not go palm up as elbow slots----meaning barrel stays stacked over hands---“lankier” players like Will Clark and Griffey Jr. displayed this characteristic

Instead of saying this is what someone said, I like to hear it from the source!

Wow 10 1/2 hrs and no response from FFS. Wonder what kind of end around he is conjuring up now. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi