Teaching hitting Carrier/Bustos approach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Carrier Olympic hitting coach. In his 40 years of teaching, he always taught throwing, fielding hitting. He would not teach hitting until their throwing mechanics where correct. The 20 years I do the same approach every lesson. He was a big believer in slow motion practice to learn the movements. He also thought if they throw poorly, they hit poorly. I agree. If a girl wraps the ball behind her head when she throws. She will then wrap the bat behind around the corner when she hits. Once you fix the throwing, your on your way to fix the hitting....:)
Here is one of my 20 doing a slow motion swing to feel how the body works. She started with me in 5th grade, signed and started college this year. Pitcher who hits bombs. She had 50hr. in high school.

Sorry need to learn how to post video from Facebook?

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry need to learn how to post video from Facebook?
If you are posting and it is coming up as "Video Unavailable" on here it probably has something to do with your Privacy settings in Facebook. Probably better off just downloading the video and putting it on YouTube..

Jun 8, 2016
And if they wrap the bat around the corner and lead with there upper body? They can hit grounders
What exactly are you referring to here in the bolded? Is this a Richard dig or are you actually talking about what people normally refer to as bat wrap?

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I think CB is saying timing is mechanics. I could be wrong.. But what would be the cause or need to wrap the bat? How would you fix that?
Keep the hands somewhere around center-line. Hard to wrap the bat with your hands in front.
Same as throwing too. So maybe this guy was on to something.

Jun 8, 2016
Keep the hands somewhere around center-line. Hard to wrap the bat with your hands in front.
Same as throwing too. So maybe this guy was on to something.
Is he actually talking about bat wrap?? His mention of corner makes me suspicious..

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I guess my issue with the throwing-leads-to-hitting theory is that there are people on this board who can throw better than Frank Thomas could and he's one of the best hitters in the history of baseball. Exception to the rule? I don't know, maybe, but I guess I'd also point to like 95% of baseball pitchers who are all pretty, pretty good at throwing and definitely not good at hitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812