Stepping out for a swing between each pitch... illegal or just annoying?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2013
one of my org's 3rd base coaches is prompting kids in 8u to step out of the box, between every pitch. and take a swing. ANNOYING. Slows down the game SOOOOO MUCH.

Am I lucky enough that this is illegal? Or is it just stupid and annoying...? They were doing it in Coach pitch too... so it isnt like the pitcher wasnt ready...! ARGH!

Mar 26, 2013
Many rule sets require the batter keep at least 1 foot in the box between pitches unless one of the allowed exceptions occurred (e.g. swung at pitch) and it is only enforced if they're delaying play - which is up to the umpire (i.e. not part of 10 second rule).

From a safety standpoint, they need to be careful of their surroundings when taking a practice swing. Many years ago when my son was playing LL, a kid hit the umpire in the face after he had taken his mask off and moved to make a call at 3B - he was very lucky he didn't lose an eye.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
one of my org's 3rd base coaches is prompting kids in 8u to step out of the box, between every pitch. and take a swing. ANNOYING. Slows down the game SOOOOO MUCH.

Am I lucky enough that this is illegal? Or is it just stupid and annoying...? They were doing it in Coach pitch too... so it isnt like the pitcher wasnt ready...! ARGH!

Speaking ASA

The batter must keep one foot in the box between pitches with the following exceptions
When the ball is batted
On a swing or checked swing
When forced out of the box by a pitch
On a wild pitch or a passed ball
When a play is attempted
When time is called
When the pitcher leaves the circle or catcher leaves the catcher's box
When the count reaches 3 balls and the next pitch is called a strike that the batter believe to be a ball

The umpire can either warn the batter or rule a strike

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Dang, DD is a bad sport and illegal. I don't mind the swing but the re-velcroing of the gloves after every pitch is really annoying. What. did they actually get loose on that heater down the middle you took?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes