Stepping out of the batters box trying to dodge a wild pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 28, 2020
A left handed slapper was at the plate. A pitch took a hard curve as she started into her slap motion she did a twist to avoid getting hit but her foot went out of the batters box and she was called for the strike.

Is it Umps discretion on weather to call a strike of ball when the batter is trying to avoid a wild pitch and steps out of the box? or is it always a strike no matter what?

I am asking as my daughter is switching over to slapping and I need to know how to advise her......and do I need to purchase her armour HA HA

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Assuming the ball was actually off the plate, the strike was called because the umpire decided that she swung, not because she stepped out of the box. The swing doesn't have to be intentional.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A left handed slapper was at the plate. A pitch took a hard curve as she started into her slap motion she did a twist to avoid getting hit but her foot went out of the batters box and she was called for the strike.

Is it Umps discretion on weather to call a strike of ball when the batter is trying to avoid a wild pitch and steps out of the box? or is it always a strike no matter what?

I am asking as my daughter is switching over to slapping and I need to know how to advise her......and do I need to purchase her armour HA HA
There is also the consideration of not moving out of the way of the pitch to be awarded first base.
Leave that to discussion.

As for wearing protective equipment Think be smart and not injured is the better way to go!

Mar 28, 2020
Did she swing? Or would the ball have crossed through the strike zone? Otherwise I'm not sure what's going on here...
To be honest I don't know....with the weird twist maybe.......she did rotate towards the pitcher/1st and ended up facing right foul area.

I was completely perplexed.....all though I was pulling for the other team. One of the parents stated since she stepped out of the box she was giving a strike. I tried to google but can't find the actual rule on strikes as it relates to slapping.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There are no rules for slapping, just look up hitting rules. As far as I know BB and SB rules are same.

I think you missed something in the play.

(Or others are not describing it right)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD finger was broke so she was bailing from box. One thing I noticed was the strike zone did change when she bailed. She was small and zone got expanded quite a bit. But nothing obnoxious. It was not an automatic strike when she bailed.

Jul 31, 2015
Highly likely the ump thought her twisting around to avoid the WP was an attempt to strike the ball, so he called it a strike. (As someone else mentioned, strikes can be unintentional; you can even get one called on a hbp.)

Had nothing to do with slapping or stepping out of the box. (If the ball hit the bat while the batter was out of the box, it would have been an out.)

So, judgment call on the strike. Can't be argued, only appealed to the other ump and overturned if the other ump saw it differently.

Mar 22, 2010
Be aware that the NCAA just changed the rule (not sure if others will follow) so that when you step out of the box while making contact it is now a strike not an out unless it's the third strike.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying