Dead Ball and Runner Out or Illegal Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Unless the runner took off prior to the pitcher starting her delivery, I'm not sure how the runner could leave early enough BEFORE a specific illegal act within the pitching motion for it to be distinguishable. Further, different umpires are likely making those calls. For all practical purposes within USSSA rules, the violations are simultaneous.
Pitcher starts delivery, arm comes down to 6, runner leaves bag, arm comes up and around again, pitcher never releases ball. From the rule book as soon as runner leaves contact with bag it is an immediate dead ball and a no pitch. So how then can a pitcher commit an illegal pitch after the runner breaks contact with the bag creating a immediate dead ball and a no pitch?

Oct 24, 2010
What is it you are referencing as page 384, article 59:3 amendment 12?

I don't know. The 2019 NSA rule book has 83 pages.

Pitching: 6-6 Wind-Up: A pitcher may use any wind-up desired providing:
d) There is no more than one revolution of the arm in the windmill
pitch. The pitching arm may be dropped to the side and to the rear
before starting the windmill motion. The ball does not have to be
released the first time past the hip.

The number of revolutions is very restrictive; Does NSA really mean it? USA is 2, NFHS is 1-1/2, NCAA is 1-1/2.
The OP's situation probably isn't an illegal pitch anywhere else in the world.

Nov 29, 2009
What exactly did the pitcher do that you are calling an eephus change?

I've heard it called a CA change too. The pitcher swung her arm back like starting a normal pitch and threw the ball on the first time the hand passed her hip without continuing her arm circle. I guess you might call it a slingshot change.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes that would be a slingshot change. Eephus change or CA change is typically release of the ball and the arm continues to rotate which is illegal.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Sep 8, 2015
I saw this happen in a game yesterday. I’d be really curious if there is an official ruling on it. Pitcher is standing in the circle with the ball and the runner is off the base. However, the runner is off the base because she was timing the release of the pitch and the pitcher never released it.

I couldn’t tell you if the runner was leaving early as I was 225’ away in the outfield.

My opinion is runner would not have left early if pitch had been delivered normally. Any intentional variations that would create an illegal pitch would take precedence. Yes illegal pitch is delayed call but the incident occurs before the runner who unintentionally left the base early. (If I’m understanding situation correctly) my call would be illegal pitch ball on batter runner stays on 3rd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi