2 Questions USSSA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2017
First one is on a quick pitch. Yesterday we had a pitcher that would step on the rubber, hands apart, and immediately go into her glove and pitch. No impression of taking a signal. Rules/thoughts?

Second one is on batter stepping out in between every pitch. Looking at rulebook it says they have 10 seconds (ridiculous rule btw). Just slows the game down and coaches take for weaver getting a signal in. I like NFHS keep one foot in box rule. Thoughts?

Third is on offensive conferences. Had a coach yesterday call time multiple times to confer with batter each inning. Umpire allowed it over and over and over. Slowed game down even more. Rule is one conference per inning. Didn’t see what penalty was. It needs to be enforced.

Jun 22, 2008
Your first is not a quick pitch, it is an illegal pitch. The pitcher must take position with the hands separated and while in that position take or simulate taking a signal from the catcher. A quick pitch is when the pitcher tries to pitch before the batter is set in the batters box.

Your second, NFHS does not have a rule about 1 foot in the box, that is USA. And, even though USA has a rule about 1 foot in the box the batter still has 10 seconds to take position. Also, the rule in USA says something along the lines of does not keep 1 foot in the box AND delays play. A batter not keeping a foot in the box is nothing except a warning until they actually delay play.

Third, the offensive coach only gets 1 charged conference per inning. The umpire should not be allowing any more than that. Some rule sets state if the umpire tells the coach no on the conference and they insist on having it then the coach is ejected. To be honest it really shouldnt matter if there is wording along those lines or not. If I tell a coach not to do something and they do it anyway they are going to get ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Oct 11, 2018
I just want to clarify the USA rule that was stated above. USA Rules 7.3.C&D are as follows:

• The batter must take the batter’s position in the batter’s box within 10 seconds after being directed to do so by the umpire.
  • (Junior Olympic) After entering the batter’s box, the batter must remain in the box with at least one foot between pitches and while taking signals and practice swings.

The 10 seconds is not an automatic time limit every pitch. The 10 second limit only applies "after being directed by the umpire". If the batter keeps one foot in the box, they are legal even if they exceed 10 seconds. Only if the umpire instructs them to get ready does a 10 second limit apply. if you think a batter is taking too long between pitches, as soon as ball is back to pitcher, say "batter, please step in". then start your 10 sec count.

The effect of 7.3.D (stepping out) given in USA book are:

Effect: If the batter leaves the batter’s box and delays play, for any other reason than 1-8 above:
  • The ball is dead.
  • The umpire may warn the batter or
  • Call a strike.
  • Any number of warnings and called strikes can be made with each batter.
(Note: there are 8 reasons given in the book why a batter can legitimately leave the box; foul ball, swing, play at a base, etc. There are a lot of reasons the batter can leave the box. Almost anything other than a called ball or strike allows the batter to step out.)

This is USA and I know your original question was USSSA which i know nothing about.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
Your first is not a quick pitch, it is an illegal pitch. The pitcher must take position with the hands separated and while in that position take or simulate taking a signal from the catcher. A quick pitch is when the pitcher tries to pitch before the batter is set in the batters box.

Your second, NFHS does not have a rule about 1 foot in the box, that is USA. And, even though USA has a rule about 1 foot in the box the batter still has 10 seconds to take position. Also, the rule in USA says something along the lines of does not keep 1 foot in the box AND delays play. A batter not keeping a foot in the box is nothing except a warning until they actually delay play.

Third, the offensive coach only gets 1 charged conference per inning. The umpire should not be allowing any more than that. Some rule sets state if the umpire tells the coach no on the conference and they insist on having it then the coach is ejected. To be honest it really shouldnt matter if there is wording along those lines or not. If I tell a coach not to do something and they do it anyway they are going to get ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Comp, most are using bands and coaches call directly to pitcher and catcher. What constitutes taking a signal from the catcher? I understand baseball with the nod. Is that what fastpitch pitchers should be doing?

Jun 22, 2008
Comp, most are using bands and coaches call directly to pitcher and catcher. What constitutes taking a signal from the catcher? I understand baseball with the nod. Is that what fastpitch pitchers should be doing?

Everyone in the world knows what it looks like for the pitcher to take a signal from the catcher, Regardless of where they get the signal from they need to at least simulate the same thing they would do if they were getting the signal from the catcher. No, that does not mean they need to do anything special other than to stand there with their hands separated for a moment and look at the catcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802