Stepping out of the batters box trying to dodge a wild pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2015
Be aware that the NCAA just changed the rule (not sure if others will follow) so that when you step out of the box while making contact it is now a strike not an out unless it's the third strike.

Yes!

And I'm sure the rule will change again next year, or maybe the year after.

😬

Apr 11, 2016
It's tough being a slapper when rules keep changing. It's a strike if her bat touched the ball.

DD's slapping coach advised her to get an elbow guard. Pitchers usually hit lefties more than righties b/c they don't pitch as much to lefties. His DD got her elbow shattered. I got her a shin guard also but she wouldn't wear it since most of the pitchers usually get her on her body or her helmet.

DD braces for the ball with her back if she really can't get out of the way. It is still painful, but better than getting her limbs. She got some pretty big bruises on her back when her team first moved up to 12U.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Pitchers usually hit lefties more than righties b/c they don't pitch as much to lefties.
Hmmm perhaps lefty slappers get hit more often because they are moving into and toward a flying ball comming their way.
Which means they are not a fixed object to throw by.

The strikezone area is the same.
The physically moving object changes.

It is also a visual learning curve for catchers.
( and i will wager for umpires also)

* anyone have stats on if lefties get hit more than righties?
Maybe not just because there are more right handed hitters?

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2016
Hmmm perhaps lefty slappers get hit more often because they are moving into and toward a flying ball comming their way.

Looking at the fall season and last season for my team (14u and 16u), righties got hit in 2% of plate appearances, while the lefties are getting hit 1% of the time in 16u and basically never got hit in 14u.

Going back to 12u, I had a team with more left-handed batters than right. Right-handers were getting hit 4% of the PA's, and lefties at 1%. The lefties had nearly double the plate appearances in that case, and were still hit far less than right-handers.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

Historically, my RH DD has been HBP way more than any lefty slapper she's ever played with...or any righty players. My DD gets HBP a lot - LOL

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Just googling to find stats
Here is a bb leader board HBP.
Couldnt find anything sb showing lefty/righty.

Perhaps Someone else can figure out
% of L vs R batters in compairison.
More righty batters by what %?

Apr 17, 2019
I literally had an umpire during the plate meeting once tell the coaches that any step out of the batters box was a strike. Even if it was a ball. Even if it was going to hit them. This was 10u. I had a few girls who were scared of the ball, and I get encouraging them to stay in - but sure enough, one of the scared girls got hbp. I couldn't get her to swing at anything for the rest of the season. She would step into the box sobbing every time. Thanks, blue :cautious:.

Jul 22, 2015
Is it Umps discretion on weather to call a strike of ball when the batter is trying to avoid a wild pitch and steps out of the box? or is it always a strike no matter what?
Right! I may be wrong, but I don't think there is any penalty for stepping out of a batter box during a pitch, unless you hit the ball, then it's an out.
NFHS rules state that the batter is charged a strike if they step out of the box and a pitch is delivered. Not sure about other rule sets but I thought I remembered at least one more sanction also has the rule.

Sep 13, 2021
NFHS rules state that the batter is charged a strike if they step out of the box and a pitch is delivered. Not sure about other rule sets but I thought I remembered at least one more sanction also has the rule.
While that is a rule, the interpretation will differ. This rule was adopted to protect pitchers from stopping their motion if a batter steps out without being granted time.
If a batter leaves the box to avoid getting HBP, no umpire worth a grain of salt will call the auto strike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802