Dead Ball and Runner Out or Illegal Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
If I am reading the OP correctly, I have a dead ball, no pitch, runner is out, and an umpire who was 0/2 there.

From the 2018 NSA Fast Pitch Rulebook:

SECTION 9 NO PITCH The umpire will declare no pitch when: a) A pitcher pitches during the suspension of play. b) A runner is declared out for leaving the base before the ball leaves the pitchers hand. c) The pitcher pitches before a base runner has retouched the base occupied after a foul ball and the ball is dead. PENALTY: The ball is dead and all subsequent action on that pitch is canceled.

(And no ... the runner does NOT have to be "declared out ... before the ball leaves the pitcher's hand" so please don't read it that way even though their wording is funky.)

I guess I am still not following exactly what the pitcher did though ... the slingshot delivery does not entail a windmill motion, so how does the hand pass the hip more than once?

(Personally, not by the book, but I think this pitch is dirty IF the pitcher normally uses a windmill motion.)

May 17, 2012
I've heard it called a CA change too. The pitcher swung her arm back like starting a normal pitch and threw the ball on the first time the hand passed her hip without continuing her arm circle. I guess you might call it a slingshot change.

It doesn't have to be a change. Some pitchers can bring the heat with a slingshot motion. They used to pitch that way back in the day...

Oct 11, 2018
This may not apply in all codes but in 2019 USA exam, "b" was the correct answer. In this example it was clear that the illegal pitch was called before the runner committed the violation. [I'm late to the party becasue it took me forever to find this!]

56) R1 on 1B and no count on B2. F1 commits an illegal pitch by bringing the hands together a second time. The plate umpire signals illegal pitch.
The pitcher continues their motion and just before the pitcher releases the ball R1 leaves the base and the base umpire calls the violation. What
is the correct ruling?
a. Since it occurred first, only the illegal pitch is enforced. R1 is advanced to 2B and B2 has a 1 ball and no strike count.
b. Both penalties are enforced. R1 is out for leaving early and B2 has a 1 ball no strike count.
c. Since R1 leaving early is an immediate dead ball only the leaving early penalty is enforced.
d. Since there were penalties from both teams a no pitch is declared.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This may not apply in all codes but in 2019 USA exam, "b" was the correct answer. In this example it was clear that the illegal pitch was called before the runner committed the violation. [I'm late to the party becasue it took me forever to find this!]

56) R1 on 1B and no count on B2. F1 commits an illegal pitch by bringing the hands together a second time. The plate umpire signals illegal pitch.
The pitcher continues their motion and just before the pitcher releases the ball R1 leaves the base and the base umpire calls the violation. What
is the correct ruling?
a. Since it occurred first, only the illegal pitch is enforced. R1 is advanced to 2B and B2 has a 1 ball and no strike count.
b. Both penalties are enforced. R1 is out for leaving early and B2 has a 1 ball no strike count.
c. Since R1 leaving early is an immediate dead ball only the leaving early penalty is enforced.
d. Since there were penalties from both teams a no pitch is declared.

This makes sense. But what would happen if the runner leaves before the illegal pitch?

Oct 11, 2018
This makes sense. But what would happen if the runner leaves before the illegal pitch?

If runner leaves before illegal pitch, the illegal pitch never happened! If runner leaves before ball leaves pitcher's hand, immediate dead ball, runner is out. Then pitcher starts over with new pitch.

Jul 22, 2015
It doesn't have to be a change. Some pitchers can bring the heat with a slingshot motion. They used to pitch that way back in the day...
I THINK what they are saying is that the pitch essentially comes out of the hand almost like a flip change as the pitcher appears to be coming around (just starting) for a normal windmill pitch motion. In other words, it looks like a normal arm circle is starting but the ball comes out just as the arm comes forward the first time, not after making a full circle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi