SB swing -VS- BB swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2010
Yes indeed, but once you learn to run, that 1/2 inch is huge! Consistently weak pop ups/ground outs versus a meal ticket for life.

Not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing, but there would seem to be a lot more room for error with a SB than there is with a BB. It's only a fraction of that 1/2 inch with a baseball... Long bomb or fly ball... Meal ticket for life or bus ticket back home.

Again, just my opinion.

Feb 14, 2010
My daughter and some other girls off her travel team went to Howard and Crstyl's Htting clinic down @ Evangel University earlier this month and learned a ton. The biggest thing we learned was the dynamics of the body and how best to use them to your advantage. I'm 6'6" 260 and Howard had me try out my normal stance versus his and I couldn't believe the difference in strength and balance. I've always thought I had good balance but with his I had even more. My daughter learned alot and skipped the defensive clinic just so she could stay and hit some more with Howard. If you ever get a chance to go to one of Howard and Crstyl's clinic I highly recommend it. Keep an open mind and you can learn from anyone.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing, but there would seem to be a lot more room for error with a SB than there is with a BB. It's only a fraction of that 1/2 inch with a baseball... Long bomb or fly ball... Meal ticket for life or bus ticket back home.

Again, just my opinion.

LOL - I'm agreeing! But don't forget, a regulation BB bat has a larger diameter than a SB bat! Regardless, the objective of a good swing is simply to hit the ball hard consistently

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
When comparing BB and SB swings I think that there are 2 factors that are overlooked, they are actually related. The softball is considerably heavier than the baseball and the SB bat is considerably lighter than the BB bat. This means that the effective sweet spot in a SB bat is smaller than the sweet spot in a BB bat, or so it seems to me. If someone has studied this I would be interested in the research. With all the high tech slo-mo that was used on Major League TV this year it was possible to get a good look at the contact point on the bat for many pitches. On several occasions I saw a BB hitter take an outside pitch, hit it close to the end of the bat and get it over the left center field fence. In softball I don't think that is possible. In softball I think that hitters have to be prepared to 'hit it where it's pitched' more than hitters in baseball do.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I'll chime in. I think the swings are the same. I'm not sure how you get there is the same. In other words, I find some of the stuff Hitter et. al. have presented on the differences to be fascinating stuff. Still, I coached my daughter exactly as if she were a boy and she's done fine.

Feb 14, 2010
How did his stance differ from yours? wider, no stride, open stance???

Howard just explained the how the kinectic link works with the body and if you do it in order correctly you can feel the difference, it truly blew my mind. I'll defer to Howard to really get into detail, seeing how it's his and Crstyl's method. It's well worth the time to ask him trust me.

Nov 15, 2010
For the record, I took my daughter to the University of Kentucky for a clinic this weekend. The head coach started out the camp by demonstrating how she teaches hitters and what she looks for in a swing. Amazingly, it was EXACTLY what is taught to baseball players.

There was nothing said about level swing and trying to match the plane of the pitch. It was hands down quick to the ball and try to create back spin. No weight shift to the front foot to end with your back toe on the ground. It was load, stay back with head over your back knee against a firm front leg down thru the ball and extend. And NO back slap!!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00