SB swing -VS- BB swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
you must be on the naughty list. main text of first link:

There are 3 Major Checkpoints the 'body' must accomplish and accomplish in order....to properly 'prep' for the upcoming goal....which is 'turn the barrel'.

Checkpoint #1: Quality rear hip socket separation. A quality coil. The rear hip coiling rearward AGAINST a rear leg that is INTERNALLY rotating. Movement JUST in the hip socket. Leg is firm. Femur is firm. Rock solid. Hip turns about the ball of the femur. This action is felt MOSTLY in the glute and the inner thigh of the rear leg.

Checkpoint #2: Tight lower back muscles just above the rear hip....the latissimus dorsi (I think....and others?) pulling the torso rearward....against the resisting INTERNALLY rotating rear leg.

Latissimus dorsi muscle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Checkpoint #3: A 'pinched and clamped down' scap. The Rhomboids pulling the scap toward the spine and holding it there. It must be held....not released....until after the corner. When you pinch the scap....you should feel movement in your rear leg....you should feel a pull against the rear leg. If you don't....a checkpoint is missing. Something between is not tight.

Rhomboid muscles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When all has been accomplished....in order....you are left with the hands stretched against the rear leg. Rear side resistance.

When the hands turn the barrel....the 'go' move....all resistance is released.....the rear leg defeats the hip and the lat and the scap and the barrel is yanked....whipped....into autopilot.

Stretch n Fire.

A wave. A sequence. A spiral of energy upward, so to speak. Starts in the hip socket....spirals upward.

You anatomists.....feel free to correct my muscle names. Or add to them.

Yes Tom, I’m on the HI naughty list. The HI Santa won’t be stopping by my house this year … no discounted Insider Bats for me this year.

Thank you for the post and explanations.

Sadly … you will be considered a heretic for suggesting that the barrel be turned … despite being correct.

Regarding checkpoint #2 … good concise description, that is pretty close IMO, but not quite correct … IMO anyway … at least that is my belief at this point in time … which basically means that I remain open to being convinced … as in I won’t be influenced by having a party affiliation. I will say that your description is the most concise yet … accurately describing what has filled several Internet pages to describe … and yet you’ve described concisely above …. Which doesn’t make it 100% technically correct, but it does put it out there to be tested by others.

Regarding checkpoint #3 … IMO you are dangerously close to describing one of the main “connections” involved with the establishment of a “connected swing”. I wish you included a muscle near the deltoid in your description. Much improved description from what I once saw. Your continued efforts are making things better understood … at least I view this description as a vast improvement.

Regarding your description of the hands being stretched against the rear leg … or what you are referring to as “rear side resistance” … if I’m in sync with your feeling, the barrel must be turned rearward for this resistance to be felt. Is that correct?

Sep 10, 2009
The two threads that Tom linked show Bd's DD clip from this thread and the other link has a video of how its supposed to be done.

If its alright with theaddition and teacherman it would be helpful for someone to compare the two videos side by side and point out where and how the girl goes wrong. Otherwise its all gibberish to me. I dont see bat drag or push.

R

RayR

You don't teach turn the barrel. It is an effect of a good sequence and getting the hands going at the right time. It is a non teach.

T

theaddition

excerpts from second thread concerning the clip here of BD's daughter and using Kinsler for comparison:

the angry pool hall owner ("APHA"):

.....she's pushing the bat.

No overlap. No whip. No drive train.

Gotta get those hands behind the engine.

She's swinging with her chest. Kinlser swings with his back.

And......if you load the front shoulder you pretty much eliminate the drive train....and the lead shoulder has nothing to do with fixing bat drag.

Nothing wrong with the shoulder 'down and in'....just get it there with coil in the rear hip socket....not with a lead shoulder load

----

Quote:
A HPP does the complete opposite to her.
....meaning it causes or encourages bat drag.

Angry pool hall owner says....

Simply....physically.....impossible.

However....when you think you are creating a HPP.....but actually have an elbow pivot point....because you did the up and over.....or something similar....AND BECAUSE SHE IS OUT OF PATTERN.....without stretch....anything can happen.....and it will.....and it is almost always misread.

And.....you better listen to Tom. You are dragging the bat if you are not turning the handle. With or without the elbow leading the hands....if you aren't turning the handle....you are dragging the barrel.

No ifs ands or buts about it.

All of this is idiotic.

T

theaddition

I try to get it (the pic) tomorrow.

Here are the photos. The bat is there for scale, it's 33".
They don't quite show the detail carved into the "wedge thingy".
There is a spot where she places her foot and feels pressure on the "secret is in the dirt" pressure point.

There was a post by Howard covering foot eversion I believe.
That post and "the secret is in the dirt" were the inspiration for my hitting board.
I first tried it with a squish pop can (my quick prototype).
It acted as Hogan's extra spike, but being that the swing initiates from the feet, the pop can slide back towards the catcher. Thus I made the board.

Pictures by bucketdad - Photobucket

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here are the photos. The bat is there for scale, it's 33".
They don't quite show the detail carved into the "wedge thingy".
There is a spot where she places her foot and feels pressure on the "secret is in the dirt" pressure point.

There was a post by Howard covering foot eversion I believe.
That post and "the secret is in the dirt" were the inspiration for my hitting board.
I first tried it with a squish pop can (my quick prototype).
It acted as Hogan's extra spike, but being that the swing initiates from the feet, the pop can slide back towards the catcher. Thus I made the board.

Pictures by bucketdad - Photobucket

Thank you BD/TA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24