Rotational Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
First I ask you have you ever done what you are saying? Second there is a great example of A-rod doing what Im saying on apitch he was out in front of on peavynet.com.His body starts and he adjusts by keeping his hands and arms down thru contact,thats adjusting to me and I've done that have you.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Dr

First I ask you have you ever done what you are saying?

Many times. So do my students with great success. Have also tried what your stating. Cant be consistent with the swing plane or driving the ball hard. As for the A-Rod clip I will check it out.

Elliott.

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
I know you have never done it because its the only way you can adjust to a ball changing planes. Your wonderful theory only exists with a stationary ball on a tee where you can rotate your shoulders and hit the ball hard,hay wait are you a golf coach?

May 12, 2008
Mark H,

I've been reading this thread and following the whole time and I must say that you are clueless! All of these people have proven you to be wrong and you continue to argue with them. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

:) Can you be more specific?

May 12, 2008
If you dont make adjustments with your hands (since the bat is in your hands)How do you make adjustments?

My understanding. Up and down adjustment is tilt toward the plate. In and out adjustment is a larger or smaller radius set by the arms.

May 12, 2008
Elliott,

so what do you think you make adjustments with??? I can tell you that what Dr Hit said is not "horsepucky." Why do you think all of these great hitters say that they just think about throwing their hands/knob of the bat to the ball? BC they are all full of horsepucky too? I have NEVER heard a great hitter say that they throw their shoulders or hips at the ball... if that is what you think they make adjustments with. Let me ask you, what is holding the bat? YOUR HANDS... the bat is an extension of your hands. I use to do a drill where my instructor would soft toss to me and I would put a ball in my right hand and get in the hitting position. When the inst would throw the ball (to all different locations) I would take my hand and throw the ball in my hand(side arm) into the ball coming at me. The thing that would adjust me to different locations would be my hand... not my hips or any other body part. So that is not horsepucky!

Well we have to differentiate between talking about swing thoughts and talking about objective reality. Not to denigrate the importance of either. A swing thought that works is a swing thought that works. As to objective reality, it's the positioning of the body and movement of the arms that locates or throws the hands. Once we understand how elite athletes move their bodies and arms to swing a bat, we can find whatever swing thought works best for a particular athlete. I'm sure hand swing thoughts will be very popular which of course I have no problem with.

May 12, 2008
I know you have never done it because its the only way you can adjust to a ball changing planes. Your wonderful theory only exists with a stationary ball on a tee where you can rotate your shoulders and hit the ball hard,hay wait are you a golf coach?

Perhaps we are talking differences in semantics and view point here. Where's that Arod clip you spoke of?

May 7, 2008
San Rafael, Ca
Hardy's golf experience and analysis would suggest that there are dramatically different swing patterns organized around how the scap connection takes place (how body and upper limbs are related). This means many differences discussed here are NOT likely to be a matter of semantics.

The PCR swing around pattern that Mark likes is HUGELY different from the swing down pattern Bonds likes which is the same swing as "slight upswing" that Williams likes which is the same swing that resembles overhand/sidearm throwing that Slaught likes,etc.

Learning is primarily by realizing inborn NATURAL patterns. Rather than give up like Dixon did in his later years, I think the type of detailed pattern information like that developed by Hardy in golf lets you learn and instruct compatibly with the natural pattern.

If you mix the details, you get a mess where you are attracted to one pattern one swing and another the next/etc.

See, again, Hardy explain the golf approach here that lets more "Sonny-lou's" be successful:

Improve Your Game in Golf and Life - Links of Utopia

The MLB baseball hitting pattern is even more upper body/hand dominant than 2 plane golf. In hitting you line up the plane more than in golf becasue you do not have to worry about the additional swing requirement of sqaring the clubface, but you DO have to worry about reaction time being limited.

in golf, the squaring of the clubface requires the club to approach contact on a plane that is not too steep or else the timing error of clubface closure gets too high.

Too shallow a plane in golf makes the error of lining the plane up with the target too great.

In hitting, clubface closure timing is not a problem, so, you want to line up the plane as much/steeply as possible with contact location to get a sweetspot of reasonable width to the ball for square contact.

This lets you use the scaps to tilt slaved to hands to give hands more control/resistance than in golf. Only this type pattern works in MLB.

This is nothing like the details of how the body works when you instead try to swing around the body and adjust by bending at the waist (up/down) and and changing your handpath radius (in/out).

These PCR details are just discovering what a natural single plane pattern is like which is GREAT for hitting off a tee.

Hitting moving ball ? Not so good.

Here's to Sonny-Lou !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi