Rotational Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 7, 2008
DFW
Pop

Unless she has guns the size of Bustos I would stay right where your at for now. That bat is plenty big enough for a 13 Yo. IMO it is probably too big for her.

Granted more mass will give you distance but you only need to get to 200 ft at most parks. Work on getting her stronger and she will increase her bat speed with the bat she has right now. That is plenty big for her.

Elliott.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Wow, 34 inches at 10? I am 5'9 (albeit old) and I have had to go down to a 32. (shoulder problems). But, my pitching students that are 10 are trying to hit with 30 inch bats and they still appear to be long.

I would love to see a clip of your DD, hitting.

She can actually use a slowpitch bat, legally - but I can't think of anyone except Bustos that does that. Even the 6'2" girls are swinging 34/24s.

That liquid metal bat is really nice. My DD had that bat a few years ago.

May 9, 2008
Solid

Hi All,

Grace, has 14 -1/2" biceps and is stronger than most boys her age. It's a heredity thing she follows my side of the family. I'm 6' 4" with 18" biceps. My dad was 6' 7" with 20" biceps. We are just big people.

I'll look into the slow pitch bats. I'll find one that won't slow her hand speed down. Maybe a Bustos model.:D

I posted a clip of her swing after her first private lesson with Jake Epstein. You can view it on YouTube just look under the name "Rivtime".

Regards,

Pops

Mark H, I'll stick with the definition of rotational hitting given by Mike Epstein when he coined the phrase back in 2000. It keeps it simpler. Thanks.

May 12, 2008
Well that's fine as long as both people in the conversation understand whose definition of "rotational" you are talking about. And yes Mike's version is simple. Another thread perhaps.

Guru,

How does rotating create power? Do you rotate to create power for any of the following?
Hitting a tennis ball, slap shot ( hockey ), hitting a golf ball, bowling, volleyball serve or spike, pitching or throwing a baseball, pitching a softball, kicking a soccer ball or football, throwing a a football. None of those actions are produced by rotating ( as a source of power ).All MLB hitters are successful when they combine 2 elements at the same time : balance & batspeed ( by whipping the bat )

Is this guy/girl serious? I hope this is someone just trying to stir the pot, and not someone that actually doesn't think a golf swing (for example) is linear and not rotational.

Mike,

Unable to view the video you referred to. V. Guerrero is has a linear swing because he keeps his body square to contact and his hands & barrel inside the ball approaching contact. He takes a huge hack & he's a bit of a free swinger but he stays inside the ball very well. He's one of the best!

Disregard my previous question :)

May 9, 2008
Hi MTS,

Thanks for posting the link for my dd's swing. I've been trying to do this for the past week. You get it on your first post. Outstanding. Thanks for the help.

I'll take a look at Pujols and Bustos on the body lean and post a reply.

Thanks again,

Pops

May 9, 2008
Posture

Hi Ray,

Pujols looks like he's sitting in a chair. Bustos much more upright. DD's swing is just a week into learning on the clip. I think that she'll be able to interpret what she's learned and adapt it to her own personal style = including more body lean. The back leg could be lowered more to generate more rotational force and power transfer. She's 5 for 12 plus 2 walks, 7 rbi's, in the last 4 games = .418 avg., .500 obp. = no complaints here.

You might want to check out the clips of the Univ. of Lousiana Lafayette on the link that Mark H. provided in post #154 Siggy's Hitting Clips - Image Event on page 16 of this thread. Their coach purchased the Epstein Hitting System a few years ago and installed it into their program with excellent results. Notice their hitters vary a lot in their personal styles including stride length but they all get to the same place at impact.

Thanks again,

Pops

P.S. You can check out Mike Epstein's website at Welcome to Mike Epstein Hitting! and ask questions if you like.

R

RayR

Hi Pops,

Yes, I have seen the ULL clips. I use them to point out many things to my hitters.

Pujols definitely sits more then Bustos, but they are both in an athletic position. Every fastpitch hitter on Siggy's site displays an athletic posture just in varying degrees which only means they are unique, but work from the same blueprint. None exihibit a vertical, strung out common little league swing

Your welcome for posting your DD's clip.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00