Rotational Hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2008
You need to know the process to get in those positions and if you cant feel it and do it yourself its awfully tough to relate it to an athlete..

You missed my point about feel being an individual thing. Being able to demonstrate at a world class level IS very helpful but most/most elite performers historically make poor teachers. Especially for the less gifted student.

I believe the work I've done with MLB players, Olympic players and the scientists from several top 25 universities gives me some type of quality experience..

Sounds interesting. Where can we read about it? Even so, I'm going to compare anything anyone says about hitting to slow motion video of the best in the world.

I understand some of you dont the opportunity to work with people at that level so all we are trying to do is get athletes to succeed. Dont try to judge when you have never been there.Try some of these things you might just like them.So stay tall throw the bat at the ball and let the body uncoil from the ground up.

OK, now I have to call whoa there coach. Elite hitters DO NOT "stay tall". As to throwing the bat at the ball, depends on how you want to "throw the bat at the ball". The kinetic chain works from the big parts out to the small parts. Not from the feet/small parts, to the big parts and then back to the small parts/arms and hands. Perhaps you could use the videos on the link I gave to back up your point?

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Mark H I have given you the full swing video of A-Rod and you always go back to short small clips of hitters. Look at the biomechanical movements of great hitters its not all short clips its the whole thing.The body stays tall keeping the eyes level until the hands and shoulders adjust to the plane of the pitch,thats whentilt happens.

May 7, 2008
DFW
Doc

A-Rod while being a great hitter is just one of many templates you will see in MLB. The critical point here is what do you see at contact with the ball? I think with most elite hitters you see the same thing. Good rotation, combined with correct posture, and an understanding that the swing plane is the most critical aspect of the swing.

Any high level hitter will be coming into the ball on a slightly upward trajectory. Teddy boy himself even said that in his book and on his videos back in the 60's. I have no less than 20 pix on my garage wall of hitters at contact. Both male and female. They all LOOK the same. Including some of my students.

If you want to break down swings of MLB hitters thats fine but most of the things they do will not translate to teaching the average kid how to hit the crap out of a ball. They dont have the strength and stability to pull it off. It is for all intents and purposes a goal they can achieve but it will take them years of development to get there.

The road map is more important than the destination and I see way too many road maps out there with a lot of lost individuals on those roads. You can work with the best in the world but if you cannot translate that to an easy viable method to teach then its useless.

The moral of the story:

Don't get lost on the road. Use the right map.

Elliott.

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
Great job Elliott! When proven techniques and players blue prints for success are thrown away as if they have no clue that bothers me.Its like someone watching a video of a dentist drilling a tooth then saying oh heck I can do that all I need is a drill. All I ask is have a process and get results. Several people who have done a heck of alot in the game of fastpitch are being told they know nothing about the game by people who could'nt play themselves,thats wrong.At least some people on this site have a resume and don't try to pass info like they do!Some people should listen to the athletes and actually find out what they do before trying to discredit those who do.Joe Crede Chicago White Sox:"When I get into a slump I go back to the basics ,keep my head still and throw my hands".Tony Gwynn "you'ld be suprised how hard you can hit the ball by throwing the knob of the bat at the ball".Ted Williams :"Tony Gwynn is the most knowledgable hitter I have ever met".I'm sorry I don't assume to know a computer programers job,so don't you insult me by trying to tell me something you have no experience at! Peace and out you have the answers and keep trying to trick em!

May 12, 2008
The body stays tall keeping the eyes level until the hands and shoulders adjust to the plane of the pitch,thats whentilt happens.

I have zero problem with that pattern though we can have another discussion about what adjusts. Tall and moving down into a good vertically loaded posture is not the only way to get to a good hitting positition but it's one way that can certainly work very well. Glad we got that misunderstanding out of the way.

On adjustments, the tilt adjusts for the pitch height and the arms make the inside outside adjustments speaking of non fooled swings.

May 12, 2008
Several people who have done a heck of alot in the game of fastpitch are being told they know nothing about the game by people who could'nt play themselves,thats wrong.!

What I saw happen was the comparing of anything anyone said about hitting to slow motion video of the best in the world.

At least some people on this site have a resume and don't try to pass info like they do!Some people should listen to the athletes and actually find out what they do before trying to discredit those who do.!

Again, I can find elite performers and credentialed coaches to disagree or agree with just about any conflicting position you want to name in terms of hitting mechanics. If we are to take big resume experts at their word we are going to be constantly reversing course depending on who we last talked to. You have to have some method to decide which big resume expert is right since so many of them vehemently disagree with each other. So...I suggest...compare anything anyone says about hitting to slow motion video of the best in the world. Let that be your truth detector. If you find that offensive I can't imagine why. And certainly it would be the opposite of arrogant.

Joe Crede Chicago White Sox:"When I get into a slump I go back to the basics ,keep my head still and throw my hands".!

Again, it depends on what he means by "throw the hands". If he means this...
then no, not so much. If he means like this...Photo 4 of 16, Fastpitch, then yeah, that's what I see happening in elite hitter's swings.

Tony Gwynn "you'ld be suprised how hard you can hit the ball by throwing the knob of the bat at the ball".Ted Williams :"Tony Gwynn is the most knowledgable hitter I have ever met".I'm sorry I don't assume to know a computer programers job,so don't you insult me by trying to tell me something you have no experience at! Peace and out you have the answers and keep trying to trick em!

So you have lost patience with discussing hitting when I want to compare what we all say to slow motion video of elite hitters? I'm willing to subject anything I believe to this test. I suggest everyone should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
First you have never taught a hitter of the elite level. Second your veiw of video is way off from reality because you have never hit.Third if you think you tilt your shoulders to the ball first and then try to adjust to the ball with your hands I know you're lost in your video.And last why are you afraid to look at a true motion analysis of elite hitters,don't you like the way they talk about the full transfer swing? Don't you like the way it shows the hand path to the ball is down? Don't you like the way the front arm pulls straight across the body moving at the same time as the back leg and hip firing.Yes I believe I have put in 25 years playing and working with the best in the world and that gives me the practical and scientific advantage over someone who says he will challenge me. If you really could you would have because you can only give your own horsepucky!

Attachments

• Bent finger rise 2.jpg
    Bent finger rise 2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 11
May 12, 2008
First you have never taught a hitter of the elite level. !

Neither has the average dad who has to decide who to believe among those who HAVE taught elite hitters and who teach wildly conflicting things. So that won't fly. Again, you say blue, expert with credentials says green, next one says red. Two of you are full of it. Which one? Only way I know to sort it out is compare what the experts say to slow motion video of the best in the world.

Second your veiw of video is way off from reality because you have never hit.!

So I don't see what I see? What about my buddy who made AAA? I see the same thing he sees and he certainly hit. What about Epstein, Slaught and Gwynn? They all hit and they see very different things from each other. What now?

Third if you think you tilt your shoulders to the ball first and then try to adjust to the ball with your hands I know you're lost in your video.!

I don't think you followed me but if you want to discuss it till we know where we really agree and really disagree that's fine.

And last why are you afraid to look at a true motion analysis of elite hitters,don't you like the way they talk about the full transfer swing?!

What are you talking about?

Don't you like the way it shows the hand path to the ball is down?!

Well early on in the swing, sure it's down. That's really not a very salient or helpful point IMO, but who said the initial movement of the hands was not down? Tilt over and turn and then sure, the rotation of the shoulders will initially take the hands downward.

Don't you like the way the front arm pulls straight across the body moving at the same time as the back leg and hip firing.!

Perhaps you could elaborate here. "pulls straight across the body" could mean several things. Back leg and hip firing? Well that could mean any number of movement patterns. Not descriptive enough. Perhaps you could pick a particular video off Siggy's site to illustrate.

Yes I believe I have put in 25 years playing and working with the best in the world and that gives me the practical and scientific advantage over someone who says he will challenge me. !

What I do with you is the same as I do with anyone. I'm going to compare what you say about hitting to slow motion video of the best in the world and let that be my truth detector.

If you really could you would have because you can only give your own horsepucky!

That last sentence doesn't really seem helpful but apparently you don't care to be questioned about your beliefs nor have them compared to slow motion video of the best in the world. Again, I've seen people with much bigger resumes than yours who say differently than you say and I've seen people with the same sort of resume who disagree with both of you. So how should I then decide if you are the one or if the next person with a great resume is the one to listen to?

In general, I find those who don't like to be questioned are those least prepared to answer. You may be the best instructor in the world. That ought to make it pretty easy to calmly point out in video of elite hitters where you are right and I am wrong. Which would be a great day because it would mean I had learned something. Injecting emotion into the discussion doesn't help anyone.

KAT

May 13, 2008
First you have never taught a hitter of the elite level. Second your veiw of video is way off from reality because you have never hit.Third if you think you tilt your shoulders to the ball first and then try to adjust to the ball with your hands I know you're lost in your video.And last why are you afraid to look at a true motion analysis of elite hitters,don't you like the way they talk about the full transfer swing? Don't you like the way it shows the hand path to the ball is down? Don't you like the way the front arm pulls straight across the body moving at the same time as the back leg and hip firing.Yes I believe I have put in 25 years playing and working with the best in the world and that gives me the practical and scientific advantage over someone who says he will challenge me. If you really could you would have because you can only give your own horsepucky!

Wow Dr24 it seems as you have lost the ability to have a discussion at the discussion level without elevating it to a personal attack. You may be the best in the world but as a parent looking in it seems you are rather close minded. I feel that Mark H and several people have responded in a calm effective manner even when you have taken it up a notch to personalization. Just because you are someone with vast knowledge that doesnt mean you should be close minded and stop learning, stop understanding that even the small guy can teach me something. Please take into consideration what you are coming off as here. Mark H and others put alot of time into what they are doing, and if I had my choice by reading this board I would pick them over you just for the pure fact they have stated they are open to more learning, eager even, whereas you have obviously reached the point where you can't possibly learn anymore. Good luck and I hope you continue your success working with the elite athletes at their level.......as for me I just have one DD who would love to smack the heck outta the ball, she will most likely never make it to your level of eliteness. Dang Mark why do you live so far away!!! would come to you anyday!

A man may learn wisdom even from a foe." Aristophenes

Jun 4, 2008
Anaheim Ca.
I believe I was the first person attacked, but thats not the point. There is a huge problem in fastpitch with people who have never played or coached trying to sell there theories to people who are looking for help. Don't try to say elite players do something when they don't. It has already been proven by Marc D that the Legs must start the swing. Let me remind you that I was being Attacked for that comment, so what else has been professed that these people can't back up! Its amazing that when someone proven wrong how they run and say how they been done wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414